Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 06-26-2015, 01:59 PM

The machine I fiddled with today is a case-not a machine at all. I am still gluing and clamping bits here and there on my featherweight table and am also decoupaging a stinky old case. Lots and lots of glue going on! When the case is done I will have to clear coat it with something. Shellac? I'm not sure what is the best idea here.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0941-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 06-27-2015, 05:07 AM

Is the paper scrap booking paper? I wish I had a case to redo! How neat that will look!!!! Can't wait to see the finished product.
My machine has the wooden bottom part of a case. But just a store bought plastic cover. I have case envy now!!!
Old 06-27-2015, 06:27 AM

I finally got some quality time with my 319, "Verne" last night. Found a few minor problems on him that were not what I expected - some odd things bent (thread guide, bobbin winder lever) with no other damage around them. I've got it mostly bent back into shape but still need to fiddle with the bobbin winder, it's doing a terrible job winding bobbins so far.

He ran rough at first but he was REALLY dry, he's running better now that he's all oiled up but seems to sort of "surge" and the motor smells a bit - I think he's just not been used much at all, if ever. I ran him for a while last night and it seemed to be evening out. The needle is incredibly dull, but I got tension dialed in with no problems, at least.

When he sews, I hear a sort of ringing sound. I traced it to the handwheel - it rings like a bell if I flick it with my finger! I am guessing that just the movement of the belt vibrates it enough to give off a faint ringing sound. I put a new belt on and got it adjusted properly, I think, and he still faintly rings. I hope that's not an indication of something being out of whack because I like the sound! None of my other machines have it. Verne is a literal "singer"!

Those levers are fun, too.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:22 PM

A singing Singer is too awesome for words.

Baking the Kenmore 1400 in the sun today. The stitch length knob is STILL stuck and the reverse is now part stuck with oil that ran down from the stitch length. But the squeak is almost gone! It was the motor itself that was so dry and I guess the heat let the oil get where it needed to go. It does not sound like a windup toy any more. So I will not have to name it Windup.

The FB group posted Sears catalog pages and this one was called "Sew Simple" and was the lightweight option! It is a Kenmore I can carry under one arm without going grunt. I never expected that.

Sad news on the Singer 66. There is a small piece broken off the bobbin case. One of those little horns that keeps it snug in place. I am cleaning my way down on that still and had not taken out the case before now. I will see whether it will make a stitch once I put it back together.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
Sad news on the Singer 66. There is a small piece broken off the bobbin case. One of those little horns that keeps it snug in place. I am cleaning my way down on that still and had not taken out the case before now. I will see whether it will make a stitch once I put it back together.
Can you shoot a pic of what is broken?
Old 06-27-2015, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Can you shoot a pic of what is broken?
See. It is nothing essential to controlling the bobbin thread so it may still work. Posting to see photo then quick edit. Ok it displayed that way. The front of the machine would be at the top of the photo. The bobbin case in the upper left corner of the picture is broken off short. And yes it is still dirty. I did not take the spring off yet for deeper cleaning.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Last edited by Quincunx; 06-27-2015 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:00 AM

Yesterday went to my favorite flea market stores and found a singer button hole accessory case and also greist attachments. Came how and tried out the button hole accessory on the singer clone I'm working on. That works just fine. I was showing the machine to my daughter when she came over. Bragged on my repairs all to realize that the feed dog drop is not consistently working. Can't seem to get it adjusted just right so that the buttons shift it smoothly from normal fabric, sheer fabric, to embroider darn. Trying to
post a pic of where I think my problem is in the adjusting.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:23 AM

The option to upload pics is not appearing on my phone for some reason. Hmmmm have to share later I guess.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:10 PM

Ok, found a long way around to post a pic. Hope this works.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]523782[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails photo.jpg   photo.jpg  

Last edited by RebeccaG; 06-28-2015 at 02:14 PM. Reason: pic too large. Just resizing.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:15 PM

I'm sorry. I am really having a rough time with this sight and pics turning out right. I tried to delete the larger. I don't know why it's still there.

FREE Quilting Newsletter