Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 01-02-2014, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

I got the function part down before I did anything at all with the looks. The looks are better in the picture than in person. That machine was so bad I figured there was nothing to lose. I'm not sure how to fix that bent bobbin winder widget. I just got done touching up the rusted areas with black nail polish - don't laugh guys it worked and if I get any on my nails... The guts were rusted up and not turning at all. She turns freely and sews a nice stitch. She could use a bit of dremmel brush work in a few places yet. She was a GW rescue.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:15 PM

Miriam, looking good but don't let it think you are getting in a hurry now.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Miriam, looking good but don't let it think you are getting in a hurry now.
They ALL think I'm in a hurry, Glenn - I have to remind myself...
Old 01-02-2014, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
......I'm not sure how to fix that bent bobbin winder widget....
You could leave it like it is and just tell everyone that it’s the new style. “New and Improved”!

CD in Oklahoma
Old 01-02-2014, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
You could leave it like it is and just tell everyone that it’s the new style. “New and Improved”!

CD in Oklahoma
not an improvement now is it?
Old 01-03-2014, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
not an improvement now is it?
No, but then some of the things that I’ve had through the years that were “New & Improved” weren’t either........

CD in Oklahoma
Old 01-03-2014, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
It was still slow, ...
For comparison I checked a couple 15-91's and a 15-88 and a 1934 FW. Guess which one ran the fastest?! (Hint -not the 201-2)
It gets going faster the longer its running, but it's a long ways from 1200SPM. And t head itself turns very freely, been thoroughly TF'd). I'm going to order brushes from Sew-Classics and see how it does.
The brushes looked like they were a good length, I would think if they're clean, like JOe mentioned that it would run well. How smoothly does the worm gear turn? I'm wondering if there's something else introducing some drag. How does the motor sound?

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
The one that was in it is unlike any that I’ve seen before, so I’m wondering if it came from a different model machine or is a reproduction. Anyone seen one made like this? (see arrow in photo)
It looks like a reproduction to me, possibly a well done "home" job? The metal is very different than the originals. Is there any chance that the clearance screws slip a little with the vibration, causing your recurrent issues?
Old 01-03-2014, 12:22 PM

I think the 201-2 sounds healthy, but not fast. As it runs it is slowly pucking up sppeed. (love having a tachometer!). brushes are probably reseating into the smaller diameter armature. Also ordered new brushes. The other 201 needs them badly anyway. I'm going to check RPMs on all my SMs this weekend just for something to do. I'm an info junkie!
Old 01-03-2014, 12:45 PM

I'd love to have a tachometer. I usually use the "Seat of the pants" measurement. My 15-90 started slow. I thought that it had to do with the fact that the grease ports weren't doing their jobs. When I got it, there was a crust of grease on the top, and the bottom of the wick (closest to the motor) was white like it was fresh from the factory. I gave it a tiny little dab of grease right where the grease wicks were supposed to supply it, filled the grease tubes per Dave McCallum's "5 second squeeze" suggestion, and started it up. It was stinky and slow then it started speeding up, it was really neat to see. Info is good. We can make "informed" decisions with it.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:53 AM

A lady dropped her Singer 221 Featherweight off at the shop to get it serviced. She said she hasn’t used it for 30 years or so, but would like to get it limbered back up to use again. When I opened up the case, here’s what I saw in the top tray. Every spool of thread is wooden! One of the thimbles looks like it is made of brass, and those aren’t after-market bobbins either! I just thought it looked so cool that I wanted to share it. It was like opening up a time capsule.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails 221_sammie.jpg  

FREE Quilting Newsletter