Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 05-29-2014, 02:41 PM

CD I love those tables! I've only seen them with Pfaffs so far. I think they're pretty cute for the person with limited space.

Miriam, Thank you for commenting. I feel lucky now that this machine not only has a reverse but that it works! I need to get back into it today. Sooo many things calling to me!
Old 05-30-2014, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

I'm just getting over the worst cold I've had in years. Today has been very eventful and it is only 4:30pm. The company I work for went out of business last night. Don't go telling me you are sorry for my loss. It has been coming and I'm kicking up some other possibilities that have been on the back burner. Maybe this will force me to get at it. It just is a bit untimely in some ways. I have been checking into a place for a small shop. In my 'research' rounds I found a Singer 401 walking foot in it's original box. I suppose it will be better than the new made in China walking feet. It was only $6.98 new. Wilbur was over last night and he looked around at all the machines he hasn't had his oil can at and said, "Grandma, WE have a lot of work to do." Don't I know it. Other events have happened lately, too but I'm not going to comment on that stuff. I've not gone away.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:49 PM

Well poop Miriam. That sux. I hope you are feeling better today.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

poo happens to all of us - it wasn't my failure but it happens...

Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill
Old 05-30-2014, 04:51 PM

A few days ago I acquired a "Red Eye" treadle. I've had a blog for longer than I can remember but seldom post to it. My new leaf is to document sewing projects on the blog. Today I fiddled with the newly acquired 66 and have blogged about it here and here. Each machine I work on becomes my "favorite." However, this one may be my "most favorite."
Old 05-31-2014, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
...I have been checking into a place for a small shop....
I was a Vendor at a nearby Quilt Show this past weekend (with fabric, notions, and our line of sewn products, not machines or machine repairs), and there were two other vintage sewing machine repairmen also vending (one with Featherweight machines and service from up near OKC, the other like me with only retail fabric & notions in his booth from his shop in the next town over). We got to talking about the other small repair shops that we knew of that had been in the area around southwest Oklahoma for the past 10 years. We soon discovered that Jim, in the next town over, and I were the only two left out of six known repairmen that were in the area just a couple of years ago. There’s still a Bernina Dealer in the area, but as far as we know, they only work on Berninas, so we didn’t count them.

Between the years going by that new machines become less in need of servicing and more limited in repair needs, and the old mechanics retiring or passing, vintage sewing machine repair shops are becoming few and far between, at least, around here. I don’t know how it is in your area, but a shop that repairs vintage machines might be something to consider. However, Jim and I both made one observation that we think is important. The repair shops that have faded away were repair shops only, with very little retail activity. Most of them were sewing machine mechanics that had worked in factory settings until the factories left, and then opened a little repair shop of their own. Jim and I agreed that neither of us could make it on machine repairs alone today at our shops. And we both do mending and alterations as well as retail fabric and notions, and are husband/wife/family operations. Jim sells and repairs vacuum cleaners, which I don’t. Vacuum cleaners don’t need as much repair work as they used to either though. He and his wife are in the process of putting fabric sales online this year, and they may expand into online SM parts sometime down the road.

So, if you start up a little repair shop, try to mix in some retail merchandise that sort of goes along with it. I think you’ll find that the retail and services will each be about half of the income that you’ll need. And don’t forget to think outside of the box. If not fabric and notions or vacuum cleaners, what about a combination Candy Store/SM Repair Shop, Bait Shop/SM Repair Shop, Quickstop/SM Repair Shop, Hardware(sledge hammers)/SM Repair Shop......?

CD in Oklahoma
Old 05-31-2014, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
Not really a machine, but the cabinet that one goes into. This one had an unnamed HA-1 machine in it. Well, actually, it’s named, but I can’t read it.

This little cabinet is only 21 inches wide, 17 inches deep, and 31 and a half inches tall. The seat and storage bin slides out during use. The stool seat portion measures 15 inches wide, 12” deep, and hinges on the front, so I’d say that unless you’re really small, sewing on this unit would mean “Gitter Done” with no dilly-dallying. As in...set down, shut up, and sew... and try to get done before your hinny gets to hurting. I spent an hour or so sorting the sewing notions, tools, and junk that was in the (full) storage bin. I got lots of nice old class 15 bobbins, a pair of Wiss scissors, and a yard of nice fabric. There was also a nearly full can of Coop oil that is recommended for sewing machines, amongst other things!

I’ve seen other cabinets like this called “Hollywood-style”, and I don’t know of any other name for them. Anybody know any other name for them? I had one for a while that was sold by Pfaff and came with a 230 in it. Singer sold one too, I believe, and I think that’s where I got the name Hollywood from.

My friends with the Junk Shop that called me and made me a terrific deal on it (so that I would take it) said that they could have sold it 10 times in the 2 days that they had it, but everyone wanted to buy the “little chest of drawers”.

CD in Oklahoma
I've seen a similar cabinet at a local thrift store, though it had an Montgomery Wards rotary machine inside.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I'm just getting over the worst cold I've had in years. Today has been very eventful and it is only 4:30pm. The company I work for went out of business last night. Don't go telling me you are sorry for my loss. It has been coming and I'm kicking up some other possibilities that have been on the back burner. Maybe this will force me to get at it. It just is a bit untimely in some ways. I have been checking into a place for a small shop. In my 'research' rounds I found a Singer 401 walking foot in it's original box. I suppose it will be better than the new made in China walking feet. It was only $6.98 new. Wilbur was over last night and he looked around at all the machines he hasn't had his oil can at and said, "Grandma, WE have a lot of work to do." Don't I know it. Other events have happened lately, too but I'm not going to comment on that stuff. I've not gone away.
There's a guy in West Liberty, Ohio that owns a sew and vac store that wants to retire. It's a turnkey business.

And now that I've read ^^^ the other post. That sew and vac shop needs more parts (he carried maybe 6) and fabric for the Mennonites in the area.

Last edited by amcatanzaro; 05-31-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:35 PM

I fiddled with my featherweight today. After I had jam after jam I finally figured out how to get the entire bobbin area off and back on only to figure out the bobbin case needed adjusting.

Still, all clean and done. I let my 9 year old daughter sew with it. She wants me to get the modern Janome back out because the FW scared her.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:42 PM
Power Poster

I agree sewing machine sales and repairs aren't enough to cover rent. I'm looking at selling out my stash of fabric pieces, parts, old scissors, bobbins, bobbin cases, needles, excess tables, benches, yard sticks, extra sledge hammers, buttons, zippers, old patterns, craft and sewing books... Then hem jeans and skirts. classes... I could use suggestions for sure.

FREE Quilting Newsletter