Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 06-25-2014, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
Yeah I am having way too many "character builders".
They seem to come in waves. It felt for a while like that was all I was getting. I took a break for a bit, then came back to it and had 5 smooth ones in one day. Set a new personal best for number of machines serviced in a day.

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Either character builders or parts - take that you stupid sewing machine
LOL! I think I've actually threatened a couple of machines that way... "Parts! You could become a parts machine! Just keep it up!"
Old 06-25-2014, 12:53 PM
Banned

Experience is what you get when you did not get what you wanted....

We are all VERY experienced here... hehe
Old 06-25-2014, 12:59 PM

It's nice to know it's not just me. I hope things turn around soon! I have learned on those bobbin winders--loosen the screw! If they are already tight from old dried oil don't just add penetrant and start forcing things.

I will count myself lucky to have learned that lesson on my own machines and not someone elses.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

I will count myself lucky to have learned that lesson on my own machines and not someone elses.
you betcha - I think I am more and more willing to tackle the worst machines. The ones that already move or work aren't as much fun. But when I started messing with them it was another story.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
LOL! I think I've actually threatened a couple of machines that way... "Parts! You could become a parts machine! Just keep it up!"
I talk to mine too. It usually starts with promises, turns to begging, then swearing. Dang! i have even more character than I did this morning!

To be fair though, I am probably selecting those machines in the hoard that are questionable. I've had a strong desire to move things along and be it good or bad, it's better to find out if some of the worst of the bunch are staying or leaving.

Now off to look up how DO you remove that needle bar?
Old 06-25-2014, 05:08 PM
Power Poster

I talk to mine too. It usually starts with promises, turns to begging, then swearing. Dang! i have even more character than I did this morning!

To be fair though, I am probably selecting those machines in the hoard that are questionable. I've had a strong desire to move things along and be it good or bad, it's better to find out if some of the worst of the bunch are staying or leaving.

Now off to look up how DO you remove that needle bar?
Why do you want to remove the needle bar? And what machine - show a picture.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Why do you want to remove the needle bar? And what machine - show a picture.
Here ya go. It's a White, lots of plastic and most of it broken. The machine appears to have been dropped and damaged the hand wheel the clutch knob, broke another adjustment knob on the back and the side plate tabs.
Attached Thumbnails white-model-1505.jpg  
Old 06-25-2014, 05:52 PM
Power Poster

OH! It has a good bobbin winder.... It has a foot pedal... it has a needle holder and a pressure foot!!! Maybe keep the bobbin goodies - hang on to the race and shuttle - what ever comes off. I'm sure you will find good parts... If you want to practice removing the needle bar you will need to look for the set screw or what ever is holding it on - then take off anything that won't slide through - unscrew it and then tap it out - why do you need to take it out? I think I had one of those or one similar. There was no control for the stitch length. Maybe 3 lengths - same with the zz - drove me nutty. But it does have a few stretchy stitches - it is mechanical - is the cam stack any good?
Old 06-25-2014, 06:02 PM
Banned

my eyes... my eyes... The Plastic, it burns!!!!! heheh (joking)
Old 06-25-2014, 07:54 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
my eyes... my eyes... The Plastic, it burns!!!!! heheh (joking)
Throw out the plastic and recycle the metal...

FREE Quilting Newsletter