Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 12-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
I finally got around to trying one of my combination feed machines in my industrial treadle today. I’ve got a little project in the works (sewing a leather western belt to billboard vinyl) that is probably more than JR (Singer 31-15) will want to handle. So, since Ol’ Dirty (Singer 111W153) was setting on the airtable out of his power stand, I stuck him into my MUTTIN to see how things looked.

I had to adjust the knee lift stops to get the lift finger out of the way under the machine. The lift won’t work for the larger machines anyway, since it’s a different setup. I walked the leather drive belt on and it’s tighter than on JR, so I’ve probably stretched it out of shape for JR now, but I can shorten it easily.

I could treadle Ol’ Dirty fairly easily with nothing under the needle but air, but when I put some leather scraps about the thickness of the belt (hand tooled on Oak Tanned leather) under the feet, it takes too much effort to keep the treadle going. I was pushing hard enough that I became concerned about breaking the pitman rod ear off, so I quit. I might be able to treadle Ol’ Dirty for sewing vinyl, but not dense leather. That was what I wanted to find out. The too-tight belting could have a little to do with it, but it’s probably better than a too-loose one for leather.

CD in Oklahoma
It sure would be the bomb if you could HC that one...
Old 12-15-2013, 09:30 AM

Fiddled with my Singer treadles this morning (31-15 & 29K70). I finished up my two hip bags with them. I intentionally waited until the end to sew the back loops and Velcro onto the bags. I needed an excuse to use my Singer 29K70 for part of the construction. (hehe)

With Christmas presents done, maybe I can get started taking my Adler 205-64 apart this afternoon.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails 20131215_02.jpg   20131215_04.jpg  
Old 12-15-2013, 11:09 AM

Fiddled with my Singer treadles this morning (31-15 & 29K70).
CD in Oklahoma
CD, I'm enjoying your quick notes on what you're "fiddling" with. I will participate time and machine permitting. Any lack of participation doesn't mean we're not interested. Keep them coming.

Ron
Old 12-15-2013, 12:26 PM

Stripped the “outer” parts off of my Adler 205-64, and have it soaking with more sewing machine oil. I’ve nicknamed it “Big D” because the friend’s first name that I got it from starts with a “D”, and well, the danged thing is just BIG! It doesn’t take much wrestling this thing around to play me out quick.

All of the outer screws came out without so much as a whimper. It sure helps to let everything soak with oil for a while before ever laying a tool on them. Even the shuttle assembly came out with no force, including the 4 little tiny springs behind the shuttle. I have the stitch length lever making full motion forward and reverse, which moves a bunch of parts including the needle bar, feed dog, and the linkages attached to them, and today I got the presser bar freed up. I’m making good progress.

I believe that they call this machine a “needle feed - jump foot machine”. The needle and lower feed move the work while the single large foot raises and falls to allow the movement. I found a 10-pack of needles for it in my stash. They’re System 328. The ones I have are some of the smaller ones of this type (size 180/24), so they’re not much bigger around than a round toothpick, but they’re 2 3/8” long.

I’m still not getting much movement with the hand wheel. Just a tiny bit. Although, after getting some of the parts off of it today, I was able to get oil further into the workings, so oil should be able to find its way into the rest of the machine now. So, for the next few days, my job will be watching the oil soak in. I’m qualified for and like this kind of work, even better than watching paint dry. I suppose it’s because of the added excitement!

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine551_09.jpg   machine551_12.jpg  
Old 12-15-2013, 04:27 PM

Stripped the “outer” parts off of my Adler 205-64, and have it soaking with more sewing machine oil. I’ve nicknamed it “Big D” because the friend’s first name that I got it from starts with a “D”, and well, the danged thing is just BIG! It doesn’t take much wrestling this thing around to play me out quick.

All of the outer screws came out without so much as a whimper. It sure helps to let everything soak with oil for a while before ever laying a tool on them. Even the shuttle assembly came out with no force, including the 4 little tiny springs behind the shuttle. I have the stitch length lever making full motion forward and reverse, which moves a bunch of parts including the needle bar, feed dog, and the linkages attached to them, and today I got the presser bar freed up. I’m making good progress.

I believe that they call this machine a “needle feed - jump foot machine”. The needle and lower feed move the work while the single large foot raises and falls to allow the movement. I found a 10-pack of needles for it in my stash. They’re System 328. The ones I have are some of the smaller ones of this type (size 180/24), so they’re not much bigger around than a round toothpick, but they’re 2 3/8” long.

I’m still not getting much movement with the hand wheel. Just a tiny bit. Although, after getting some of the parts off of it today, I was able to get oil further into the workings, so oil should be able to find its way into the rest of the machine now. So, for the next few days, my job will be watching the oil soak in. I’m qualified for and like this kind of work, even better than watching paint dry. I suppose it’s because of the added excitement!

CD in Oklahoma
how do you clean rusted parts ? i tried soaking them in vinegar overnight but didn't quite work? you've got so many nice machines. quite nice to have them as they will surely come in handy anytime you need to do some heavyweight sewing. i didn't know 29K is rare and so expensive. otherwise i could have jumped on the one that is listed on my local CL. oh well, next time i should know better. i am a newbie as far as antique/vintage sewing machines are concern. thanks a lot and do let me know how you polish and clean your rusted sewing machine metals.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:24 PM

OMG!!!!!

I think that I just witnessed oil seepage and probable oil transfer from part number 105 15 006 3, to part number 065 00 168 0!!!! How cool is that?????

It doesn’t get any better than this! Whooooo-Hoooooo!!!!!

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails omg_01.jpg  
Old 12-15-2013, 05:27 PM

LOL CD. just LOL !!
Old 12-15-2013, 06:30 PM

OMG!!!!!

I think that I just witnessed oil seepage and probable oil transfer from part number 105 15 006 3, to part number 065 00 168 0!!!! How cool is that?????

It doesn’t get any better than this! Whooooo-Hoooooo!!!!!

CD in Oklahoma
ThayerRags, you -do- know how to have a good time! ;-)

Ditto what Ron Vridar said, by the way. Fun thread you have here. Like Ron/Vridar, I am too busy to tend to my on-the-go tinkering at the moment, but very soon hope to catch up a bit.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:14 PM
Power Poster

I've been busy selling bench top thread injectors... One guy came and stayed for hours then came back yesterday and stayed for more hours - he brought his girl friend the second time. Another guy was buying a machine for his DD and DGD and stayed for hours.... My shop is becoming a regular attraction... Should I charge admission?
Old 12-15-2013, 11:12 PM

Folks, I am in need of a power cord/foot pedal for a touch and sew 773. Please PM me if you have an extra one. Tks, Carolyn

FREE Quilting Newsletter