Machine Info,

Old 09-29-2019, 11:31 AM

Hi Janey,
Thanks for the reply, and in, fact thanks everyone who replied! The pic you posted looks exactly like my New Home.
I had it running very well but only had the needle that was in it. It was bent and rusty so after I cleaned & polished it, the machine ran great for a short while till the needle broke. I checked a few sewing shops and was told at one that the needles (Round at the top of the shank) went out of production more than 30 years ago. Does anyone have an idea where these needles might be sourced???
Just went to use my Lelia 514 and it wont start/run/light. I checked that the cord is ok so I'm thinking the transformer/switch assembly might be bad. Any ideas on this problem or where to get the assembly?
The only pics I have are too large to upload, not sure how to overcome that.
Thanks Everyone, Marty

ps I seem to have posted before I finished the reply. M
Old 09-29-2019, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Marty R View Post
... I checked a few sewing shops and was told at one that the needles (Round at the top of the shank) went out of production more than 30 years ago. Does anyone have an idea where these needles might be sourced??? ...
Round shank needles are still being made. Did you save the broken needle? I'm asking as you may be able to see what diameter of round shank and approximately how for from round end to eye.

I have a German machine that takes round shank needles. I fortunately had one. I took it to an industrial sewing place here in Denver. They found that a DBx1 would work. There may be some other systems of needles that might work like 287WH. Or maybe something else.

Sometimes when you open pictures on your computer, can you "edit" picture and then an option would be to resize.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:49 PM

Hi Janey,

The only pics I have are too large to upload, not sure how to overcome that.
As Janey said, you resize them. If you have a Windows computer, go to windows accessories and choose paint. Open your picture in Paint and then go the option, "resize". I generally resize to 96 dpi for posting on the web. I don't actually reduce the size of the photo, but the resolution. That way the photo is large enough to see the details. Apple has a similar program, but I don't know the name. Any photo editing program will work. I use an old, old Microsoft program called Microsoft Picture it! There are free photo editing programs on the internet, if you don't have one.

I generally rename the one I resize and call it the same thing as before but add an "a" to the end. I keep my original photo at the original size and save this one, as well, in case I need another one for the web. That way, I can keep up with what I've done.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 09-29-2019 at 02:51 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-29-2019, 04:05 PM

Default Mystery German "New Home"

Janey & bkay,
I think I've got one that works.
Marty
Attached Thumbnails new-home-anker-rz.png  
Old 09-29-2019, 04:38 PM

I forgot to add that this New Home looks like a clone of the "Anker RZ" machine.
Marty[ATTACH=CONFIG]617966[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails new-home-anker-rz.png  
Old 09-29-2019, 06:21 PM

I forgot to add that this New Home looks like a clone of the "Anker RZ" machine.
Yeah.

I'm thinking it may take a DBx1 needle aka 16x87 needle. https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/ne...x257-10pk.aspx has them available in sizes from 10 to18. I've never dealt with them, but it will give you some idea as to what needle you need for your machine. I have read that some of the different manufacturers have a different size shank for DBx1. I'm unsure which would be closest to the 16x87 or 287 system needles. That appears to be the same as I got for my German machine. I did try it by hand and made sure it works correctly Of course, I tried it by hand - as the machine doesn't have a motor or hand crank nor is it in a treadle, LOL.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 09-29-2019 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Not affiliated with off-site links
Old 09-30-2019, 06:37 AM

Thanks Janey,
I'll get some to try. Do you how you are supposd to orient the needle eye since it has no flat? Or does it depend on the bobbin orientation?
Marty
Old 09-30-2019, 06:52 AM

Thanks Janey,
I'll get some to try. Do you how you are supposd to orient the needle eye since it has no flat? Or does it depend on the bobbin orientation?
Marty
The long grove in the needle faces you as you are facing the machine for the Anker RZ. I used a Kenmore needle threader to hold the needle in the proper position to insert it in my machine that takes a round shank needle. Unfortunately to actually thread the needle the Kenmore one won't work as the hook needs to come in from the other side to thread the needle.