Making My Darling Wife a M.U.T.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:48 PM

OK! Here is the one you have been waiting for............

I put one "Heavy" coat of Teak Oil and let it soak in over night. The next morning the finish was real tacky but I rubbed off as much of the left over oil as possible with an old t-shirt. I then put on another coat of oil but not as heavy and while it was still wet I rubbed off the excess. This evened up the color of the wood and gave it a great looking finish! I did this to both the table top and the oak plank.

After everything was nice and dry, I disassembled Frank and brought him into the house in the living room and put him back together. When Janice came home from work she got a BIG surprise!!

You will notice that the drive belt is unique!! Janice used aquarium air hose for the drive belt (she got the idea off this board) and it lines up perfectly!! This perticular head was never used while Janice has had it and now we are getting opperational!!

The End
Attached Thumbnails teak-oil.jpg   complete.jpg   finished-close-up.jpg   drive-belt-line-up.jpg  
Old 06-22-2012, 09:57 PM

Don't you just love it??? I sure do!!! We are working on getting the New Glenwood running, but she has a small mechanical problem we are trying to get help with. But she treadles smoothly, and she tries to make stitches. It's the feed dogs we are having problems with. Anyway, I think this FrankenTreadle is so wonderful, and my dear darling husband is so clever in how he made it!! I am so blessed!! :-)
Old 06-23-2012, 06:13 AM

That's cool! I'd say that I need one, but in reality, I have cabinets for all of mine. This would make for a little more space in the house tho...
Old 06-23-2012, 06:25 AM

Beautifully done! John, you were very clever with making the stand for the machine head with the leftover table base. I showed off you entire tutorial to my husband, and he said you did an excellent job! I like the look of the natural wood finish too! Janice now has lots of room around the machine head for the quilt and other sewing items. Thanks for sharing with us!!
Old 06-23-2012, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

Fantastic job on the table! Excellent workmanship! Thanks for sharing how you made it~~
Old 06-23-2012, 07:44 AM

You're an amazing guy..... great job!
Old 06-23-2012, 01:39 PM

Great job! And many thanks for sharing how you did this. DH is going to take a look at your thread for ideas to make a table to fit all of my machines without cabinets. All of my treadles have cabinets.