Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Mason Rotary treadle machine

Mason Rotary treadle machine

I purchased this Mason Rotary treadle machine today at a consignment shop in Natchitoches, Louisiana, for $179. As you can see from the pictures, it is quite dirty and needs a good cleaning. It is missing the bobbin cover plate. There is a box of attachments in one of the drawers.
    Can anyone give me info on this machine, or any ideas of where I might locate that missing plate?
    Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This will be so pretty when cleaned up. Lovely machine.

Thanks. I think it will be nice when cleaned, too. I found one exactly like it on eBay for $500. I'm happy with the price I paid.

Very pretty.

Beautiful machine!

Finding the missing bobbin plate may not be easy. But the machine should clean up very nicely. I wonder if you could fashion a bobbin plate out of plexiglass?
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    I could be wrong but my research has indicated the Mason did not manufacter sewing machines he was a dealer so his machines are badged from many companies. You need to identify the maker of your machine and go from there in finding slide plate. I could be wrong and I am sure people on the board can give more info than I can. If I am right it may not be that hard to find a slide plate. Ismacs has good info on this also.( ismacs.net.) Nice machine you have.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

I've cleaned the area around the serial number enough so I can read it. The serial number is FR7042477. The cast iron treadle base has "Mason Mfg Co" on each side. Maybe the serial number will help to identify the maker of the machine. I really appreciate the response to my posting. I'm new to this sight, but am very glad I found it.

I am going to guess that your Mason Rotary Treadle was made by the White Sewing Machine Company circa 1900 or before.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    That sure is one pretty cabinet. Nothing like that pops up around here. I would like to have a treadle when I get all organized.

I agree that the machine was made by White

Thank you, Caroline, for your response. I have been researching vintage machines and I agree with you that it was probably made by White Sewing Machine Company. I have not been able to find the Serial Number on any of the sites. But, I'm not giving up!

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    I am going to guess that your Mason Rotary Treadle was made by the White Sewing Machine Company circa 1900 or before.

Thank you for the compliment on the cabinet! It IS beautiful! I rubbed some machine oil on the head and around the base of the machine and it really perks up! I'm so fortunate to have gotten this one. While I wasn't in the market for another vintage machine, I couldn't pass it up! I'm working on getting organized, too....am running out of space!!

So glad space or lack of is not just my problem.

That sure is a good looking machine. Just think of how great it will look when it's cleaned up. Congrats and good luck finding your bobbin plate cover.
    PS I live in Bossier too.

Quote Originally Posted by JBeamer View Post
    That sure is a good looking machine. Just think of how great it will look when it's cleaned up. Congrats and good luck finding your bobbin plate cover.
    PS I live in Bossier too.
    So, where in Bossier do you live? Do you own vintage machines?

Blog Entries
    I to think it is a White FR and it might be an older one.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Glenn, I think we are on the right track. Today I found a machine manual for " A G Mason Florence Family Rotary sewing machine (SMM2160a), which I ordered. The picture in the manual of the bobbin area is identical to my machine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shilohsr View Post
    Glenn, I think we are on the right track. Today I found a machine manual for " A G Mason Florence Family Rotary sewing machine (SMM2160a), which I ordered. The picture in the manual of the bobbin area is identical to my machine.
    I was sure it was but wanted to do some research and yes made by White, Mason use a lot of White, Davis etc and put his name on the.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

This is a dead ringer for my mom's White Family Rotary treadle sewing machine. It's amazing how these old sewing machines held up through time. What are the odds that our new computerized sewing machines will be usable 100 years from now. My Mom's White Family Rotary sewing machine still works today. After my Mom died, I put her treadle sewing machine in storage and when I took it out of storage it was totally frozen. I oiled it, cleaned it and it works perfectly.Her White was made in 1926. If you need a manual, check out Singer.com. Have fun.They came with a lot of attachments. I was watching The Quilt Show and Alex Anderson was talking about the Bernina ruffler foot and how great it was. She had just discovered this fantastic foot! I laughed, my Mom's 1926 White Family Rotary sewing machine came with a ruffler foot, hardly a new idea! Enjoy your new (old) sewing machine

Hi Shilohsr,
    I too,have just acquired a Mason Rotary quite similar to yours. Mine is FR 7069691 which is near your serial number so I am wondering if you've learned anything further about your machine since the last post in this thread.
    Best Regards,
    SFay

I would see if a White Rotary plate fits. I need one too. They sell for about $15 on Ebay. Only problem is finding one old enough to be exact. Check out White Sewing Machine Parts on Ebay.

I think it may be a White also, I love the cabinet, very nice. Welcome to the group!
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Buying a regular White plate may not work well. The White rotary plates extend out past the left edge of the machine. If it fit the opening, it would need to be trimmed.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

Blog Entries
    Very pretty machine! Please post pics when you get her cleaned up I like the medallion in the center. Were you able to approximate the date?
    Deb