Meet The Queen

Old 04-11-2014, 01:40 PM

Is it the typical flat on one side?
Old 04-11-2014, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by demipepper View Post
Is it the typical flat on one side?
The MTx190 that Joe talks about in the other thread, linked earlier, are not flat, but round. I bought some for my Davis and they work great, just have to remember which way to put them in!

Jp
Old 04-11-2014, 07:50 PM

Hi Caroline,

The 1-3/4" needle is a 20x1 (Singer), BB (Free), and Boye #12 (Boye Brand) which is about the most common New old stock needles available. There are many more brands, the Ismacs needle list has 12 suppliers and/or manufacturers each with their own needle "size" for this at one time common needle.

http://ismacs.net/needle_and_shank/p...eedle-list.pdf

You can also try lowering the common 15x1.

I don't know of any readily available modern industrial needles that will take the place of the 20x1 as in the case of the MTx190 for Davis long needles or MY1014 for W&W8,9,D9,& Singer 9W.

Jon

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
Measures at 1 3/4". Will have to do some more checking but it may be a Davis Long needle or Boye #10. There is a thread regarding substitutes http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t190315.html.
I am feeling very guilty right now as I have owned my Queen for 2 1/2 years and have not cleaned her up to use. Me Bad!
Old 04-12-2014, 06:18 AM

Thanks for the info Jon. I am going to measure the needle in my WW8 and see if it is the same needle as in my Queen. I keep an Excel spreadsheet for my sewing machines and one of the columns is for the needle size. I will update my spreadsheet. Thanks for the Ismacs link. I thought I had bookmarked it but could not find it.
Caroline
Old 04-12-2014, 03:04 PM

Thanks for all of the info! I tried lowering my standard 15x1 but just couldn't get it to work. I could only lower it a few millimeters before it affected the direction of the needle and kept it from going into the hole in the needleplate. Those few mm are aaaalmost but not quite enough. I ended up ordering the MTx190s - I'll update when I try them out... My fingers are crossed!
Old 04-13-2014, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Hi Caroline,

The 1-3/4" needle is a 20x1 (Singer), BB (Free), and Boye #12 (Boye Brand) which is about the most common New old stock needles available. There are many more brands, the Ismacs needle list has 12 suppliers and/or manufacturers each with their own needle "size" for this at one time common needle.

http://ismacs.net/needle_and_shank/p...eedle-list.pdf

You can also try lowering the common 15x1.

I don't know of any readily available modern industrial needles that will take the place of the 20x1 as in the case of the MTx190 for Davis long needles or MY1014 for W&W8,9,D9,& Singer 9W.

Jon
Jon,

I have two machines that use the 20x1 needles. I have fits finding them. I have spent hours on the net looking for sources to no avail. Occasionally I can find some on eBay, but usually those are not the size I want.

So, what is good source for this most common New old stock needle? I've actually quit looking cos I can't find a good source.

Joe
Old 04-13-2014, 06:18 AM

It seems in my experience also, that a little leeway exists in where the shuttle carrier is in relation to the needle psn. On some machines I've needed to move them closer, a bit, or even slightly bend the shuttle carrier upwards, or twist it a hair so the point lifts up. This is with the correct needle installed. (missed stitches). Some old manuals talk about adjusting needle height for different materials.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:21 AM

Hi Joe,

In my experience the most commonly found NOS needle is Boye brand though not necessarily the cheapest or best bargain. If you do the ebay thing and have time to hunt, bargains ($1 needle or less) can be found. The Queen is is the #12 wood tube with 3-4 needles and come in a range of needle sizes which may or may not be good. There are also BB needles and 20x1 needles for sale on ebay though are not as commonly found as the Boye's. I'd imagine people dealing in machine parts or old time dealers would have some laying around though I don't know of anyone to recommend and you've probably already tried this approach.

Jon

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Jon,

I have two machines that use the 20x1 needles. I have fits finding them. I have spent hours on the net looking for sources to no avail. Occasionally I can find some on eBay, but usually those are not the size I want.

So, what is good source for this most common New old stock needle? I've actually quit looking cos I can't find a good source.

Joe
Old 10-21-2018, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
I can blame my DD for this one. She sent me a link to a CL posting on this machine. The lister was taking a best offer. DD went to see the machine and offered $75 and the lister took it. He said his wife had purchased it to clean it up and restore it but never did. He just wanted to get rid of it.

Overall it the machine is in fair shape and of course the cabinet top needs some work. I am still trying to date the machine but there is not much information on the Internet regarding this one. I am going to estimate the date sometime in the late 1890s. The queen did come with the shuttle and bobbins. Hooray!
She is a beauty, and still the only Queen I have had the pleasure to meet.
Until today.
Today, 4 years later, I met her less fancy sister:
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/59033941
Old 10-22-2018, 05:18 AM

You're a lucky duck! The Queen is gorgeous!