Mercury found at yard sale

Old 08-14-2015, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by KenZ View Post
A very heavy machine, cast iron. It uses a flat topped bobbin, not a class 66. A needle clamp from a 66 is not large enough to fit and a wheel from a 66 does not fit either. It does look and act just like a 99 and the hook assembly works just like a 99.
Not really a clone if the 99 bits won't fit.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:43 AM

Pretty nice find for $10! have fun!
Old 08-14-2015, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

Does it have markings from where it was made on the bottom? It may be that a 15 clone needle holder will work on that machine - can you shoot a pic of the bobbin? Is it the right bobbin? Is it a drop in bobbin or in a bobbin case. There are several flat shaped bobbins but usually go in a case. Clones are a loose term for a copy of a Singer machine I guess you could say.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

Does it have markings from where it was made on the bottom? It may be that a 15 clone needle holder will work on that machine. Is it the correct bobbin? Sometimes strays make their way in a machine, then people wonder why the machine doesn't work. On the other hand it could be some other bobbin - there is an L type that is very common. Clones are a loose term for a copy of a Singer machine I guess you could say. As far as the wheel. I have a wonderful old machine that is a Singer copy... turns so sweet and sews nice but no motor. I thought about a HC but no motor mount - then I thought about treadle - a Singer hand wheel slides on the shaft but it won't accept the clutch knob or clutch part - the Singer hand wheel needs some ground off the side toward the machine and maybe it would treadle. It would be a super treadle though - turns better than anything.

Last edited by miriam; 08-14-2015 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

Nice find! Hope you find info/parts you're seeking.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
Not really a clone if the 99 bits won't fit.
By using the search terms "sewing machine badged Mercury", I read a lot about the Goodrich Company that sold Mercury machines. The first hit tells how to identify the year of manufacture. One very interesting item was about them copying different machines, even going so far as to copy a Singer 12 and putting Singer on it. Of course, they lost in a court battle with Singer. From what I can see of that bobbin in the picture, it looks a lot like an M class, but I read that those were for industrial machines. It's like that Johnny Cash song about taking home auto parts from a Detroit auto factory job until he had enough to make his own hybrid car.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

now I am going to have to look at my 15 clone Mercury to see what it looks like...
Old 08-15-2015, 11:02 AM

My FIL had one of those Mercury machines, but my BIL got it. Pretty sure it doesn't work, but he's not a sewing machine enthusiast, so it probably never will be serviced and repaired. I grabbed an old Pfaff 130 when we dispensed of the household stuff, but it is missing the foot control. I'm glad this forum exists. Maybe I'll learn something.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

You can get new foot controls on line!!!
Old 08-15-2015, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Does it have markings from where it was made on the bottom? It may be that a 15 clone needle holder will work on that machine. Is it the correct bobbin? Sometimes strays make their way in a machine, then people wonder why the machine doesn't work. On the other hand it could be some other bobbin - there is an L type that is very common. Clones are a loose term for a copy of a Singer machine I guess you could say. As far as the wheel. I have a wonderful old machine that is a Singer copy... turns so sweet and sews nice but no motor. I thought about a HC but no motor mount - then I thought about treadle - a Singer hand wheel slides on the shaft but it won't accept the clutch knob or clutch part - the Singer hand wheel needs some ground off the side toward the machine and maybe it would treadle. It would be a super treadle though - turns better than anything.
~The machine has no markings on the bottom and only the word Japan on the back of the pillar.
The only other markings are on the front and bed that show in the picture. The serial number is EA480552 in front of the pillar, just the way Singers are numbered. In the picture the Mercury bobbin is on the right and the other two bobbins are class 66, one old and one new. The machine came with four of these flat topped bobbins. A slide plate from a Singer 66 fit and the slot even lines up correctly to adjust the bobbin screw. My repair shop had a needle clamp and a rubber wheel. I was set so I gave the machine a test run with a class 66 bobbin and the machine sews a good stitch. I did not even want to wait and fill the flat topped bobbin. I am still looking for some way to research the Serial number. [ATTACH=CONFIG]527874[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails bobbins66andmercury8-15-2015-3-640x480-.jpg