Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Missus wants to buy a Serger/overlock >

Missus wants to buy a Serger/overlock

Missus wants to buy a Serger/overlock

Old 02-12-2014, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by great white View Post
Are we all talking about just threading the machine or threading and setting the tensions correctly?

Running the thread doesn't seem like a big deal from what I've been able to see in pictures. A touch more complex for sure, but certainly not challenging.

I can see setting the thread tensions correctly being a royal "pain" though....
Here's a thought...go to a dealer and have them show you a modern serger that's auto threading then go and try threading a vintage or old serger (and hope and pray you have directions/a manual) and see what you think afterwards. Pictures may not show the challenge, but real life will:>

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-01-2014 at 04:28 AM. Reason: language in quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:23 PM

I have an old Brother...526LCW and an old Singer...14U44. I've never had problems threading either of them. I never could understand the fear of threading a serger. I just use tweezers & dental floss threaders (for the loopers)....which by the way, they're now selling in fabric stores as serger threaders. Buy them at the drugstore...much cheaper! As long as you thread it in the proper sequence, you'll do fine. Most (if not all) sergers have a threading guide inside the door. I can thread either of mine in 5 minutes or less.

The price difference between an air-threading serger & one you thread yourself ridiculous. Up until this year, Babylock was the only serger with the air-threading feature. Their patent ran out this year & I believe Juki is now making one.

As far as buying parts (loopers, needle plates, etc), Singer would be your best choice in an older serger. Most parts are still being made. For durability, both of mine have seen HEAVY use & still run like new. The Brother, I bought new probably in the mid 90's. The Singer is approximately the same age & I bought it used.

Differential feed is handy though neither of mine have it. If your wife is very good at handling fabric, managing presser foot pressure, etc., she could more than likely get by without it. But if you found a good used one with it...that's better than without! I was used to using a factory serger without it so maybe that's why I've not had a problem without it.

Both of mine use easy-to-find industrial needles...most new sergers use household needles. Singer packages the ones my Singer uses but, I still buy Organs on ebay for both....about $20 for 100.

I'd also recommend that a new user buy a copy of "The Ultimate Serger Answer Guide". Great close-up photos of every tension, threading, needle problem you can have & how to correct them
Old 02-12-2014, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Here's a thought...go to a dealer and have them show you a modern serger that's auto threading then go and try threading a vintage or old serger (and hope and pray you have directions/a manual) and see what you think afterwards. Pictures may not show the challenge, but real life will:>
Not much point other than to go Oooo and Ahhhhh.

I don't have multiple hundreds to drop on a new machine.

So my threading will have to be digital.

Meaning: my "digits" will have to do the job.

My fingies can thread well enough (with a few well chosen accessories) for the price savings.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:30 PM

Well, it all just became a moot point.

Gent with the serger sent me an email offering it for 20 bucks. Singer 14u64a.

He just wants it gone.

Needless to say, its now sold.

I'll have a friend pick it up for me since it's very far away.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:59 PM

Ah, he had the model wrong: 14u32

Oh well, can't go wrong for 20 bucks.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:29 PM

Nope, can't go wrong for $20!
Old 02-12-2014, 04:19 PM

Been reading up on 3 thread sergers.

Seems it is fairly well suited to the uses we will have for it.

The 4 thread sergers seem to be better suited for clothing seams as well as edging.

We'll be primarily edge binding stuff, for which a 3 thread seems perfectly acceptable. In some instances preferred.

I could have gotten a 4 or 5 thread, but that would have been mega bucks and probably have ended up being unused capacity/features.

My 20 buck unit should "fit the bill" very nicely for us.

Did I mention it was only 20 bucks?

I also just picked up a Singer service manual for it. We're all set to go.

Last edited by great white; 02-12-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:18 AM

Well, I just cant leave well enough alone:

I was looking at pictures of the 14u32 and the 14u34/64.

It appears they use the same housings. I got a hold of some high res pics of the 14U32 and sure enough: where the 4th tensioner would go is a removable block off plate.

The rest of the differences just look like thread guide loops and a screw on thread spool holder. A few other differences that make no difference to function (like a different handle, etc)

Even the needle holder looks the same as the 4 thread version.

So, I ordered up a spare tensioner assembly and I'll see if the 3 thread Ultralock is just a few parts away from being a 4 thread.

My missus thinks I'm crazy.....but I just can't stop tinkering with stuff!

Besides, it was only 20 bucks. What have I got to loose?

Old 02-13-2014, 09:43 AM

Ooooo, this is a sexy little work table:

I can see myself making that nice little plexi extension for the serger in pretty short order. More workspace and support is always better.

The glass table looks nice for sliding fabric. Doesn't get much smoother and snag free than glass. Probably not the best for cutting if you're not using scissors....
Old 02-13-2014, 10:43 AM

Differential feed is used for 2 fabric together, but one is longer that the other. Longer one goes on the bottom and a short one on top. I made ruffle curtains for my mother on one. Great item to have on a serger. My serger is a singer 14U234B bought in 1981. Needles can be bought at JoAnn's, they say Serger on the packages.