Mom's 301A

Old 06-04-2015, 07:40 PM

I don't consider $100 plus high for doing all that to a machine - I dont have the time to do that stuff myself when I don't have time to sew on them as much as I want..I just meant this isn't a bargain shop like finding a $15 machine..I know a lot on here talk about prices sometimes like more than $20 for a machine is a lot when I've plopped down a lot more than that fo rsomething probably common LOL but I dont' get around to good deal places a whole lot- my jackpot were the ones my mom and dad picked up at estate/garage sales and I inherited when they passed away. so if a machine is $175 as is it may be $300 after servicing but they also fixed a lot on mine when i took it in to see if it fit in the cabinet I wanted and didn't charge me labor which was very nice of them. the featherweight class we spent at least 3 hours on and it was hard work LOL!
Old 06-04-2015, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaMiller View Post
If you live anywhere near League City, TX, then Fred Switzer is a very good resource. You can reach him at Suncatcher.com. He comes to the Paducah quit show every year. He rebuilds FWs and is a great source of information concerning them. He has taught me more about FWs than I ever hoped to know. He also has some pretty red FWs also. He can take an old, dull, FW and make it sparkle like a new car. He also sells Lucite seam guides and turned, wood, spool holders to convert spool pins for use of larger spools of thread. I can't get enough of them and they make great gifts for quilters.
Thanks. I think I'll go to the place in Katy that was mentioned. League City is the other side of the world from me and since I don't need any cosmetic work and may not even need any mechanical stuff, I'm not gonna drive all the way over there.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:43 PM

I hope you get your machine up and running Patrice.

Thanks Donna for the info, I will be out buying irish spring next time I am at the store.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by quilt938 View Post
I don't consider $100 plus high for doing all that to a machine - I dont have the time to do that stuff myself when I don't have time to sew on them as much as I want..I just meant this isn't a bargain shop like finding a $15 machine..I know a lot on here talk about prices sometimes like more than $20 for a machine is a lot when I've plopped down a lot more than that fo rsomething probably common LOL but I dont' get around to good deal places a whole lot- my jackpot were the ones my mom and dad picked up at estate/garage sales and I inherited when they passed away. so if a machine is $175 as is it may be $300 after servicing but they also fixed a lot on mine when i took it in to see if it fit in the cabinet I wanted and didn't charge me labor which was very nice of them. the featherweight class we spent at least 3 hours on and it was hard work LOL!
That's what my gals and guys learn too when I give my maintenance class. A good service and cleaning is a lot of hard work. I usually have grease under my nails for days! The 301 I showed isn't the worst one I've done either. 2 of them have been peed on by cats or dogs and you don't know til the rag hits it, or your own animals are WAY too interested in the machine...
Old 06-05-2015, 05:35 AM

Does anybody know what class the FW/301 bobbins are? I got lucky - my FW came with 20 of them so I'm pretty well set, but now I'm curious about what their real name is.

I think $100 sounds really low for a deep clean on a neglected machine. I doubt I could find anybody around here to do that kind of work for anything less than $250. Thankfully I find that kind of work very satisfying or I would be in trouble with the machines I keep picking up, LOL.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
The 301A does NOT take class 66 bobbins. It's bobbins are same as the ones for a Singer Featherweight.
So you learn something new everyday. I have a 301 and a Featherweight, and never realized the bobbins were the same, but they are. I use my FW more than the 301, so I put more of them into the FW case.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:45 AM

actually I think the $125 or so is where it starts- probably an hourly rate after that but I still think it's a bargain for the amount of work. but then I'm one who doesn't mind paying $100 - $300 for a vintage/antique machine I like that's in good shape/working..though who would't love a $25 bargain?! LOL! I did get a nice $75 in a cabinet fleetwood there that will HOPEFULLY be tried out this week when I'm off - house is FINALLY almost in order but that bedroom has become the accumulation/exercise area but help is coming back today to add some curtain rods for quilt hanging and some other odds and ends

where is the shop in Friendswood? does he have machines for sale? I wouldn't mind a drive out that way...planned on going to Kimberly's in Katy today with a friend- she still wants to go - but may be next week for her with her grandkids in tow - she leaves tomorrow to fly to chicago to meet up with her daughter and fly back with them. but I may run over there tomorrow if I get the urge to get out of the house!
Old 06-05-2015, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

My niece got a machine from her DGGM whom she had never met. It is a 301 also. Downloaded the manual and sent it to her. She got into the attic of her DGM and found a box of attachments. They belonged to the machine. She loves it and has it up and running. Her father's family is into horses and they already had a saddle repair machine (very old) and well maintained.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:28 PM

I came home from work early this afternoon to wait for the termite inspector and had some time so I got the machine out. I pulled the manual up on my laptop and gave it a good oiling. I took the top off and looked around and for a 50+ year old machine it looks amazingly clean and good in there. I decided to see whether or not it still sewed so I threaded it and tried it out. It sews like a dream! It sounds very smooth and quiet so this weekend I'm going to try it out. I'm so happy that it runs so well. It's a really nice little machine and I think I'm going to enjoy using it. I have a box of feet and attachments that I don't remember my mom using but I'll be exploring those, too.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:59 PM

You'll love that machine once you get it going. I use mine much more than the Featherweight. Actually I'm planning on selling the Featherweight since I rarely use it. I prefer the size of the 301A and the solid feel. And it isn't that much heavier than the Featherweight since it is aluminum.