More "REPAIR IN PROGRESS"

Old 04-19-2012, 12:45 PM

Default More "REPAIR IN PROGRESS"

Photos below show the work on the cabinet. I removed the veneer from the top an bottom of the cabinet, also on one side (outside where decorations go) and rear of one side of the drawer assembly.
I have replace the old with new. Ironed down, ( this is a veneer I got at Lowes and it has hot melt glue on the back) shaped and sanded. I placed some of the parts on the new veneer to show the difference in the color. I will clean the old finish as best I can and then try to match the stain as near as possible.
Attached Thumbnails more-repair-2.jpg   more-repair-3.jpg   more-repair-4.jpg   more-repair-6.jpg   more-repair-7.jpg  

Old 04-19-2012, 01:06 PM

Nice work!! You should put these in the tutorials section, or ask a moderator to put a sticky on it so it stays at the top of the category.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
Nice work!! You should put these in the tutorials section, or ask a moderator to put a sticky on it so it stays at the top of the category.
Ditto here. I did not know that veneer could be purchased with hot glue on the back. Learn something new every day. Have you had to patch a piece of veneer patch on any of your cabinets? I have one that needs to be patched and was unsure how to do it.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
Ditto here. I did not know that veneer could be purchased with hot glue on the back. Learn something new every day. Have you had to patch a piece of veneer patch on any of your cabinets? I have one that needs to be patched and was unsure how to do it.

Yes I have . I is not difficult. You just have to be careful taking the old piece off and make sire all you angles are absolutely, perfectlly straignt so you can butt your patch up to thr remaining veneer. If on a corner just use a hacksaw blade to saw out the broken veneer. I wont hurt if you cut in the underlying wood just a tiny bit. You're going to cover it up anyway. That should leave you with a fairly straight cut. If it is in the center then thats another lesson.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:31 PM

Just curious, but I can't find the veneer sheets on Lowes site? Where is it in the store and does it come in different widths, lenghts etc? All I'm finding is the 3/4" edging. I have a Singer cabinet with a couple of missing veneer areas that I want to try to repair.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:42 PM

I would love to see a tutorial on that, also.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Just curious, but I can't find the veneer sheets on Lowes site? Where is it in the store and does it come in different widths, lenghts etc? All I'm finding is the 3/4" edging. I have a Singer cabinet with a couple of missing veneer areas that I want to try to repair.
For the larger sheets, some Lowes carry them, some don't. Try in the lumber department. If you are searching and have your home store selected, it may not show up online if your store doesn't carry it; mine doesn't but has the edging. If it's a small part, you can try the rolls of edging veneer or "iron on edging." Looking at the site, it seems like they may not carry it online anymore, but you could ask your local store if they can order it from another store for you. The brand name was "Band-It" and it came in sheet/rolls 24x48 inches.

Hope that helps with your search!
Old 06-18-2012, 11:07 PM

ask for cabinet refacing materail or door shin's, if no then looking for a hardwood supply,, get there opinion on whats called sticky back/iron down opposed to glue down
Old 06-19-2012, 04:11 AM

Wow! It looks great. I've done a kitchen cabinet or two with door skins but had to put the glue on myself. It's a messy job. this looks so much easier. Thanks for posting.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
For the larger sheets, some Lowes carry them, some don't. Try in the lumber department. If you are searching and have your home store selected, it may not show up online if your store doesn't carry it; mine doesn't but has the edging. If it's a small part, you can try the rolls of edging veneer or "iron on edging." Looking at the site, it seems like they may not carry it online anymore, but you could ask your local store if they can order it from another store for you. The brand name was "Band-It" and it came in sheet/rolls 24x48 inches.

Hope that helps with your search!
Thanks, Bennett I'll look when I go. We also have a Home Depot but I don't see it on their site either.