Mrs. Crinkle has arrived ....

Old 09-08-2012, 02:26 PM

I have Mrs. Crinkle's older brother who was produced a year earlier, 1950. George is his name. All of my crinkle finish machines get a male name. He also came from GW but was in a cabinet. Congrats on "winning one".
Old 09-08-2012, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
I think the milling tool you mentioned is where they scrape the black japanning off of the SN plate. The operator apparently got a little carried away on this one and the japanning was marred to the right of the plate, too.

You've got your work cut out for you on this one. I have never liked the crinkle finish - it collects dust and always looks dirty, to me. And sewing - ugh - who wants a surface that creates drag on your fabric? I know a lot of people like them, though - and they're glad people like me aren't out there pushing the prices up! LOL!

Have fun with the new project - it'll sew planks when you're done with it.
thepolyparrot,

This machine is cleaning up right nicely. I also have another 66 crinkle, 2 Kenmore crinkles, and a White Dressmaster that's OD green crinkle. I've sewed on all of them and haven't noticed any drag to the material. I'll pay a bit of attention when next I use them.

My first 66 crinkle sews such perfect stitches I use it for the custom bags I make.

Joe
Old 09-08-2012, 04:06 PM

Joe, I forgot I did start to clean and oil the 128 at one time. The first thing I did was drop the back access cover down inside the machine, and, of course, the top doesn't come off these. That was an 'Oh, Sh!!' moment. There was nothing I could do except wait until D rotated home so he could turn it over and shake it out while he was making smart remarks. I will have my sewing GS bring it down the next time he is here and we will do a sample stitch. I know it sews - I tried at the seller's house, but I haven't really given it a workout - uh, I don't even know how to operate the shuttle bobbin, but I have a copy of the manual so I'm golden. The blackside presser foot and other parts are interesting.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:22 PM

irishrose,

Sent you a PM. Let me know if the videos came through.

Joe
Old 09-08-2012, 06:13 PM

Not as videos, just pictures and, yes, I clicked on them. I have seen the videos previously when they were posted here.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:24 PM

irishrose,

Hmmmm, the URLs I sent were the exact same ones that make videos when clicked on here in the forum. But all you get is pics on PMs. That don't help does it?
Old 09-08-2012, 08:30 PM

Mrs. Crinkle is up and running. All spiffied up for her pics tomorrow. I haven't sewed anything with her yet, but I shall tomorrow.

I did notice she's got some blackside parts. At first I thought they were grungy rusted parts but when cleaned they are black finished.
The presser foot tension adjuster
The bobbin tyre rim
The screw to the bobbin tension
The knob on the top tension

Also the slide plate and all three thumb screws are a satin finish whereas the needle plate is shiny finished.

So I'm thinking this machine was a factory refurb.

But who cares. As long as she works that's what is important.

It might take a while though for her to free up. I've been pouring the oil in all her joints and pivots since yesterday and I greased the motor tonight. She goes, but she's not free'd up yet. I'm gonna make something with her and see what happens.

Might even run better if I put her in a treadle base.

JOe
Old 09-08-2012, 10:31 PM

Post pics after you get her cleaned and treadled up. Can't wait to see how she turns out!
Old 09-09-2012, 12:50 PM

Smile

She has been neglected, but I'm glad that she has a new home and you to shine her up and make her sing. Please post a photo when you have her all squeeky clean.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:08 PM

Default Mrs.. Crinkle VS Godzilla

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
We saw a Singer 66-18 on GW last week that was here in SPFLD. Waited till the last minute and put a bid on it.
We won. I knew from looking it was a Centennial badged machine and since I was looking for a candidate to make a treadle machine with a reverse or back tack feature I thought this one might fill the bill.

We picked it up today. Ugh is that thing filthy! I'll let the pics tell the story.
Front:

Rear:

Bottom:

Spider webs inside:

Serial number:

The machine formerly lived in a cabinet. It still has it's hinges which is good cos those are kind of hard to find. The slide plate is there and there was even a bobbin in it. It also came with a box of accessory feet.
The only missing part is the spool peg, but I have one I'll put on it.

The insides are dry, dry, dry, dry. And there has been more than one generation of spiders living there. At least there's no sign of mouses.
The interesting part to me is the serial number. It puts the machine as one of 35,000 allotted November, 10 - 1950. But that's not the interesting thing. If you'll look close the serial number has been gone over with some sort of milling tool. I've not seen this before in any photo or machine I've seen. I wonder why that was done?
In spite of all this, the light works, the motor works and the machine turns ... albeit slowly. A healthy cleaning and oiling will fix that up lickty split.

To make it into a treadle machine I'll need a spoked hand wheel and an appropriate bobbin winder assembly to match. Oh and a treadle cabinet too. But I might just take one of the other Singers out of it's cabinet and put this one in. We'll see.

Joe
The other machine of the 30,000 lives in Taylorville. His name is Godzilla and your friend Steve refurbished him for DD. I sewed on him the last time I was there and he sews great, but you'll get a hernia moving him. How much do they weigh anyway. He has a case too.