Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
multiple questions about old Singer machines >

multiple questions about old Singer machines

multiple questions about old Singer machines

Old 04-02-2016, 06:34 AM

I have my grandmother's Singer 99k that was made in 1952. It is a beautiful machine.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
I have one of her bobbins. It was in my sewing box. It has holes in the sides and is flat with a little notch in the side. You took the bobbin holder out with a little lever (on the side of the holder) and inserted the bobbin into it pulled the thread through the side (for tension, I guess). Then you inserted the whole thing vertically into the hole under the needle.

It had an adjustable stitch length and a lever for reverse. It had a spindle on the base for your spool of thread for filling the bobbin.

I don't remember it having a belt.

I learned to sew on that machine making doll clothes. At first, it was very crude, but my sewing improved and eventually I made most of my clothes while I was in school. It would be perfect for piecing quilts.

My mom passed last year and her husband still has the machine, but I don't think he would let me have it. The DH suggested that I just find one and buy it.

bk

From all of your descriptions it sounds like a 15-91. Great machine. I'd rather have that than a 401, but that's just me.

Cari
Old 10-23-2020, 06:40 AM

I used to have an old Singer at home. It is a really good machine.
Old 11-01-2020, 01:51 PM

I have been sewing actually for many years now. I have tried it for the first time when I was kid around 9 or 10. My mo showed it to me because she saw how much I wanted to do it again. I have been watching hew work that machine for hours and I guess she got tired and decided to teach me. The first thing she actually taught me was threading a singer sewing machine. I still remember how to do it all those years later because she had made me do it again and again. Honestly I am glad that she taught me at all though. She is an amazing seamstress. Most of the clothes I own were made either by me or by her. I think that it is am amazing skill to have and super useful. I think every girl should learn how to sew. And honestly the machines like that are amazing. If you have one never throw it away. Better restore it.
Old 11-02-2020, 05:43 AM

Wow! I've come a long way with sewing machines since this was posted. I really like sewing machines. I'm equally smitten with tools of all sorts, though. After significantly thinning the herd, I still have 10 sewing machines.

Fortunately, my Mom's husband gave me her 15-91, after I offered to buy it. It was allocated during the month/year of my birth. I really don't know what year my father gave it to her. It was a Christmas present.

bkay
Old 11-02-2020, 06:51 AM

Bkay, what a sweet remembrance of your mother, and your birthday.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:59 AM

welcome aboard [email protected]. What are you using now.?