Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My disease is flaring up again, plese help. >

My disease is flaring up again, plese help.

My disease is flaring up again, plese help.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:14 PM

Looks like a treadle machine from here. I see a brown stripe where the belt should be going down into the cabinet.
Or did Necchi mount their motors below?
Rodney
Old 06-09-2014, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Looks like a treadle machine from here. I see a brown stripe where the belt should be going down into the cabinet.
Or did Necchi mount their motors below?
Rodney
Some of the Supernovas had a cutout in the bed that allowed the machine to be operated by a treadle. The motor on that machine normally sits inside the machine on the right hand side.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:00 PM

I would bet the machine either folds down or rides down upright. The table is hanged on the left. The question is...is there something hanging from the hinge? The motor usually is inside the machine like a Singer 301. If there isn't one inside I would think you could find one. More than likely for all this young man seems to know the motor has merely been disconnected. Plan a day of it..lovely drive, picnic, sightseeing and bringing home a lovely treat at the end of it all.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
The bit about the motor not working - I wonder if it is fixable... or not! Or Napa John was suggesting that a motor might not actually even be in it? Maybe there is no motor. Maybe the motor is there but just not wired up. Who knows...
What I intended to suggest was that the motor might still be in it. The way the motor is located, it's not exactly easy to get to so I don't know that she'd go to the trouble of removing it. Whether or not it works is another question. Some people just like to treadle them. Here's a blog with a treadled Supernova and if you look at the third picture, it shows the motor still inside:

http://color-my-world-with-warmth.bl...th-eunice.html

It's a 2 speed motor. On the bed of the machine just to the right of where the treadle belt goes through, there are two toggle switches. One is the light and the other is the motor speed (high/low). Frequently, these toggles are broken off (but usually still workable). It's hard to tell from your photo, but they appear broken to me. Some people put little screws into them to make them more useable. It's another one of those things to examine and decide if it's important to you.

Whatever you decide, good luck. I'm better these days at telling myself another one will come along.

Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
More than likely, the mechanism is just stuck. It took quite a bit of oil, a lot of cajoling, and some swearing to get mine unstuck.
I probably was unclear but the mechanism does work and drops the feed dogs easily. They just don't seem to want to stay down and the T-shaped knob that drops them pops back up but not immediately. I should actually read that part of the manual because maybe I'm not engaging it properly. But thank you for trying to help!

Originally Posted by singerguy View Post
Wish I can help you with your sickness. I guess we all need help, right? Is there such a thing as SMA, sewing machine anonymous?
I think there are 12 steps. First, you must admit you have a problem.

Hi, my name is John and I am addicted to old sewing machines!
Old 06-10-2014, 09:10 AM

Really love that cabinet.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by singerguy View Post
Wish I can help you with your sickness. I guess we all need help, right? Is there such a thing as SMA, sewing machine anonymous?
There is no 12 step program for my addiction, because I don't want to be cured of SMAD!
Old 06-10-2014, 03:01 PM

Lol I know my disease is flaring up. I have a chance for a 15-91 made in Canada for $15. There's a tag on it that said 'rusted insider's which explains the low price. The outside is really pretty nice. I'll know more tomorrow e hen my cousin is going to check up ok on it for me.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:06 PM

Cecilia - That cabinet is beautiful!! Go and see it and you will get a better idea if you want to tackle it. Treadling isn't bad - watch Bonnie Hunter during one of her "Quilt Cams" when she is using one of her treadles to see how easy it is once you get used to the motion.
If I was closer, I would go with you and urge you on
Old 06-11-2014, 06:11 AM

go for it. love it.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:15 AM

Sadly I was not able to get to it in time, and someone else snatched it up. That's okay - I hope they really enjoy it! I think the Necchis are neat. I hope for a pink one some day. And the idea of trying out treadling sounds fun also! Patience, patience...

Thank you all -so- much for your help. You gave a lot of great info, particularly Napa John, and I will use that info in the future, I am sure, Thank again!