Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My first godzilla finish machine >

My first godzilla finish machine

My first godzilla finish machine

Old 06-10-2014, 11:06 AM

Does it feel stiff when you spin the handwheel? It may need its joints oiled up a little. You don't want the motor too tight or you can burn it up.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:13 AM

Whites are nice running machines, capable of very fine stich lengths. Reverse is a nice feature and they use standard needles. And bobbins still show up at thrift stores. Slipping tire, wipe the rim and tire with rubbing slcohol and see if that grabs better.Enjoy!
Old 06-10-2014, 11:14 AM

Oh, and oil it. It may be slipping just due to the drag of neglected dried oil. ("it" being the machine, not tire or rim ;-)
Old 06-10-2014, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

She is absolutely beautiful, lucky you!
peace
Old 06-10-2014, 06:00 PM

Regarding replacement screws; White machines were made in the USA and West Germany.
If it is a US made machine, they will have ye olde threads that are common in the States, but the rest of the world including W. Germany have switched to metric threads (depending on when the machine was made).

I believe my Japanese Kenmore has metric threads, because when I was looking for a throat plate spring screw, an M2.5 laptop screw fit perfectly.

In short, don't use excessive force when you're trying screws at the hardware store, and if your machine is made in Germany, don't forget to try metric screws.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:24 PM

I don't believe I've found a standard thread screw, fine or coarse, on a vintage SM yet. They all seem to wing it and go with whatever they felt like. Maybe White was different, but not National, New Home, or Davis.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbeat View Post
Regarding replacement screws; White machines were made in the USA and West Germany.
If it is a US made machine, they will have ye olde threads that are common in the States, but the rest of the world including W. Germany have switched to metric threads (depending on when the machine was made).

I believe my Japanese Kenmore has metric threads, because when I was looking for a throat plate spring screw, an M2.5 laptop screw fit perfectly.

In short, don't use excessive force when you're trying screws at the hardware store, and if your machine is made in Germany, don't forget to try metric screws.
I found replacement screws at the hardware store. The bolt is 3.5mm x 20 the nut is 3mm. It fits perfectly like the original. Now to put the wires back in, sand the drive wheel, and find something to put between the motor and the machine. It should be all set.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:12 AM

To my knowledge (subject to revision of course) all of the clockwise rotating White made machines were made in the USA. At least I've not yet seen one made in Europe or elsewhere.

As for the screw threads, most are neither standard pitch SAE nor Metric. Usually they will be a standard diameter, with really a really odd thread pitch.
Sometimes a metric size will interchange, but even then they are often an odd ball thread pitch.

Joe