My first green machine, too!

Old 01-19-2014, 07:41 AM

Default My first green machine, too!

While I'd love a beautiful sea green or aqua like Macybaby's Singer, yesterday I drove about 2.5 hrs there, had to detour around a huge accident on I90, had no clue where I was going but actually found the spot easily, 2.5 hr drive back, spent over 2x on gas as the machine but what can I say, it was a green machine. The ONLY reason I'm admitting that I did this crazy drive, is I know you won't tattle to my family because you'll understand. Only $20 for the machine, I haven't found a serial # yet and just started cleaning & oiling. I have to rewire the light cord but the other cords are ok but old and I'll change them. The foot pedal is on a short leash and set for a knee pedal so I may change that, too. Odd shaped bobbin holder and there's a little trick to it but it shouldn't be a problem to use and it looks like a slightly bigger bobbin than the 66. It came with a New Home buttonholer, a ruffler, binder & hemmer and has a 1/4" foot on it. I haven't started looking for the type and I'll hunt up a manual. It's soaking up oil now. But it's my 1st New Home Greyhound, my first green, really green, ugly green, actually but it's mine. The 1st of many greyhounds, I hope.
Attached Thumbnails cabinet-machine.jpg   machine-green.jpg   thread-closeup.jpg   20140119_59.jpg  
Old 01-19-2014, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

It looks awesome!!!!
Old 01-19-2014, 09:15 AM

It much more attractive than the brown and black crinkle finished machines, IMO.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:16 AM

That pile of thread was tightly wound around the wheel stem from the motor. It must be the bobbin winder? Why else would thread be packed there and there's an odd stem on the wheel. The color is slightly off and it's greener than it appears. If I'm not happy with it, I can always donate it to GPA-MN for a fundraiser prize. Haven't found out the model or a serial #, nothing on the face plate or bobbin cover other than the Westinghouse motor. I think it's been repainted with this crinkle/gorilla finish. So why's it called a gorilla finish? It has a roughish almost odd but solid rubbery feel to it.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by GreyQ View Post
That pile of thread was tightly wound around the wheel stem from the motor. It must be the bobbin winder? Why else would thread be packed there and there's an odd stem on the wheel. The color is slightly off and it's greener than it appears. If I'm not happy with it, I can always donate it to GPA-MN for a fundraiser prize. Haven't found out the model or a serial #, nothing on the face plate or bobbin cover other than the Westinghouse motor. I think it's been repainted with this crinkle/gorilla finish. So why's it called a gorilla finish? It has a roughish almost odd but solid rubbery feel to it.

Right, the bobbin winder...and they do tend to be wrapped up sometimes. I've seen others painted this crinkle green color, so I wouldn't think it's a repaint. I don't know the history of why it's called a Gorilla finish.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:26 AM

I like the crinkle paint machines of all brands. Don't know why but they just speak to me. Joey likes your new green machine.

Joe
Old 01-19-2014, 09:59 AM

That looks like a New Home LLC Rotary. I have one with the serial number of LLC863315, so when you find the serial number on it (I can’t remember off-hand where it’s at), you’ll know for sure. My notes say that it takes an odd needle, a CC1221. I’m not sure what bobbin it takes.

The bobbin winder is simple but kind of interesting. The little lever above the motor swivels out as a thread guide and tensioner to wind the bobbin on the end of the motor.

CD in Oklahoma

I forgot to mention, that the lever also pushes the motor out away from the balance wheel when it folds out, thus disengaging the power to the sewing machine. Cool, huh?
Attached Thumbnails machine427_06.jpg   machine427_07.jpg  

Last edited by ThayerRags; 01-19-2014 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Added text.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:49 AM

I've only seen them on line from time to time. They have such an interesting shape! I imagine a very soft toothbrush is needed for cleaning.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:34 PM

Congratulations! And a cabinet too? You did really good.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:07 PM
Power Poster

Congrats! Neat looking machine!