Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My Grandmother's Treadle Machine unearthed from the garage! >

My Grandmother's Treadle Machine unearthed from the garage!

My Grandmother's Treadle Machine unearthed from the garage!

Old 02-03-2012, 03:34 PM

She's Beautiful!!!!!
Old 02-03-2012, 03:51 PM

your machine is beautiful..so well cared for by your grandmother. i bet it was her "prized" possession. love "toots" and use her well!
Old 02-03-2012, 06:32 PM

Thumbs up My Grandmother's Treadle Machine unearthed from the garage!

My heart stood still and I gasped when I saw the picture you posted of "Toots". I am in awe of this beauty and so jealous! Have fun with her.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:15 AM

She's a beut!
Love the history.
My Grams and Grandpa were from Prussia also! When they were just toddlers, their folks migrated here to good old USA. They settled in Seward County Nebraska. Grams had a treadle that was a beauty too. I would give up almost anything I have to have that machine back. It too is the only machine she owned and she made oodles of quilts on it in her bedroom where the machine had a place of honor. As you can see, I also called her Grams. What a coincidence.
I am so happy for you that you have all those wonderful memories to cherish. Grams would want you to make a quilt or two I'm sure Enjoy her.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:26 AM

Oh, she is just beautiful! I love the detail on the old treadles.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:52 AM

Beautiful the way she is ,but will be absolutely beautiful and so many wonderfull memories to go along with her. Thats great!
Old 02-04-2012, 07:08 AM

Looks just like the one I sewed on when I was a small girl. My mother couldn't wait to get one of the 'new plastic portables'. How sad. She got rid of this beauty and got a little green plastic-cased thing. Hope you enjoy your memories and sewing on this beauty.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:27 AM

Beautiful! I have my grandmother's treadle too and it has the same cabinet. I will have to open it and see if it is the same machine. She has sat in my dining room for years and I really would like to make a quilt on her. We got a new belt but it needs some adjustments so will have to work on that one day.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:02 AM

What a beauty you have there, especially knowing its history. Can you imagine your grandma taking to you as you sew on Toots? What a thought!
I have my great-aunt Tillie's treadle, given to her by my great-grandparents when she married in 1926. It's a Damascus and is currently holding my TV until I get a TV cabinet. Tillie the treadle has a new belt as the old one was too stretched out to work properly, but she sews really well. I love the thought that this machine has been in my family so long! I also love the idea that I can sew even if the power goes out! Tillie's sister, my grandma, also had a treadle, I think given to her also by my great-grandparents, but the machine was sadly taken to the dump by my dad who thought it didn't work! My heart stops every time I think of his doing that! I'm so glad your Toots has a new life with you! Happy sewing and quilting!
Old 02-04-2012, 09:07 AM

You know, if people don't make good memories for their children, it's gonna be tough for them. My boys[married and grandpas] sit at our table and we just laugh all the time with them telling us things[we never knew] that they did when they were young.