My great grandmother's Singer

Old 03-07-2015, 05:40 AM

Default My great grandmother's Singer

Sewing has been a hobby of mine for awhile now, so I decided to fix up my great grandmother's old sewing machine. It is a Singer 66-1 born on May 16th 1910.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]512787[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]512788[/ATTACH]

Not sure if it works or not, but it should be fun to try out.
Attached Thumbnails 1910-singer-1.jpg   1910-singer-2.jpg  
Old 03-07-2015, 08:00 AM

SmileySSD,

Welcome to the QB.

Yes, it will sew. It just needs some TLC, and lots of cleaning. You've got some things sitting on the cabinet that don't go with it (the two shuttles), and it's missing the belt guard / bobbin winder, but that's findable.
Oh, and don't get rid of that Singer belt package, that's got to be an unusual thing to find.
As it is now it's a treasure and were it mine I'd make sure to get it all up and running.

PS (I'm a bit prejudiced for the Singer 66. I've only got 6 or 7 of them. Three of which are treadles. )

Joe
Old 03-07-2015, 08:10 AM

Welcome. You'll love it here. Lucky you to have this machine get passed down to you!
Old 03-07-2015, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board! I would be excited to use an heirloom machine. Have fun! You will enjoy the board.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:31 AM

Welcome to the board. the bobbin winder and guard can be found on ebay for the redeye at a resonable price. I wonder why there are two shuttles with the machine?? Your grandma must have had another machine at some time. The original package for the belt as Joe said is a great find. I would take the old belt off and put it in the package and get a new leather belt for the machine. You are lucky to have some back clamping attachments for it. This 66 will clean up very nice and they sew great.
Skip
Old 03-07-2015, 10:04 AM

Welcome!
You came to the right place and great job posting pictures on your first post!
Be sure to read the sticky on cleaning your machine and watch the videos. It's not hard and cleaning the machine will make you a lot more familiar and comfortable with it. Only use sewing machine oil on the machine's body. Modern cleaners can destroy your decals.
If you don't have a manual, you can download one from Singerco.com for free.
I agree with Joe, 66s are great machines. You should enjoy yours.
Rodney
Old 03-07-2015, 11:38 AM

It's wonderful that you are re-energizing your great-grandmother's machine! With a little TLC, you'll have it sewing and singing, soon! As Glenn said, check on e-bay, and don't settle for the first one you see -- there's sometimes a lot of differential between the various sellers as far as price (and quality) goes!

Welcome to the Board. You sure came to the right place. This Board has many experienced, knowledgeable and helpful members!

Jeanette
Old 03-07-2015, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Luckily I found the belt guard and bobbin winder shortly after posting this thread. Thanks a lot for the warning about modern cleans, and for the download. Me and my father are probably going to clean it up later today, or maybe Sunday.

It will be really nice to finally have two sewing machines in the house, with a third on the way. We have three people in the house who sew often, and we invite friends over to sew. So having a good reliable machine a big help.

The belt does seem a bit odd though I think it is to big, and yea my dad ordered a new belt so I can keep this one safe in it's package.

I will also see about adding photos of it when I am done cleaning it all up.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board. I didn't have old Singer to receive from a relative so I bought mine. Fortunately, all I had to do was replace the belt. Pieced my first quilt on it, a simple large square Trip Around the World.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:06 PM

welcome to the board, looking forward to progress images! How lucky to have a family machine and be able to spend time with your dad...