Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My New Craigslist Find!

My New Craigslist Find!

I was looking on Craigslist trying to find my mom a treadle stand when this sewing machine shouted for me to take her home. I was so excited, I looked it up trying to find out what model singer it was. I think it's a Singer 28 or 128 with a brentwood case. I could be wrong. The only thing I was wondering is can I convert it into a hand crank? It has a motor attached but it looks added onto it. If anyone has any info about it please let me know. The model number is G0747487. My husband has now banned me from Craigslist since this will be sewing machine number 5 in two months. I only paid $40.00 for it though. I thought it was a steal! Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

$40 is a very good price.
    congratulations

Wow, it has beautiful decals and sounds like a great deal. I am sure you will have no trouble converting it to a hand crank. Does it work if you plug it in?

I haven't tried plugging it in. The wires are a little frayed. I was worried it might start a fire. I may be a little paranoid though.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
    Wow, it has beautiful decals and sounds like a great deal. I am sure you will have no trouble converting it to a hand crank. Does it work if you plug it in?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    fab..I would turn her into a hand crank, since that motor and wiring need to be replaced anyway!

That is what I was thinking also. I always wanted a hand crank. The wheel turns so smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    fab..I would turn her into a hand crank, since that motor and wiring need to be replaced anyway!

It's a beautiful machine.

Kathie

What a beauty!! Ask yourself how many tools does your hubby have? I have many friends whose DH's say the same thing!! But it's okay if they have 3 saws or 5 drills ,etc!! As long as I have room I'm gonna buy them...especially for that kind of price! Great buy.
    Be kinder than necessary,everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Ooh, ooh, I want her! I'd love to have one of those for decoaration for my sewing room. The decals are in great shape. She's too pretty to cover up. I'd have snatched it at that price as well.
    Remember the teakettle...it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it still sings!

A Proper Tea is much nicer than a Very Nearly Tea, which is one you forget about afterwards. ~ Winnie the Pooh (A.A. Milne)

I just got one like that, mine needs a little refinish on the case and the machine wouldn't run-I fixed that, I got mine for $10- the bottom was even coming apart-thats all glued back now, I also have a White brand in the bentwood case, it sews great!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by krista View Post
    I was looking on Craigslist trying to find my mom a treadle stand when this sewing machine shouted for me to take her home. I was so excited, I looked it up trying to find out what model singer it was. I think it's a Singer 28 or 128 with a brentwood case. I could be wrong. The only thing I was wondering is can I convert it into a hand crank? It has a motor attached but it looks added onto it. If anyone has any info about it please let me know. The model number is G0747487. My husband has now banned me from Craigslist since this will be sewing machine number 5 in two months. I only paid $40.00 for it though. I thought it was a steal! Any thoughts?
    you lucky thing, you better be glad you seen it first, lol it is a beauty. Have fun and buy, buy, buy. We wont be one day to do it.!!!
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    I must say this is the first old machine I would like to have. With me the newer the better altho my Bro4001 is 4/5 years old and I will not be replacing it unless I win the lottery which would be most difficult since I do not buy tickets. That is a beautiful machine and case will clean up great

What a little beauty! I'd definitely go with the hand crank. She should clean up and shine!
    I have a screw driver and YouTube--I can fix it!

That is exactly the same machine I have--it was my grandmother's. It is a 1928. I had it cleaned up and the frayed wires replaced and it runs like a charm! Her name is Edna Pearl--same as my grandmother.
    ​Jumpin' Judy

Well if I weren't tickled pink for your find, I'd be pea green with envy!

I LOVE the "La Vincedora" decals best of all but of all the 28/128's that have wandered through my house, none of them have this beautiful set.

She looks to be in beautiful condition and I'm so happy you found this little heart-warmer.

Beautiful machine and you got it for a great price.
    Carol in Delaware

I don't have UFO's I have PhD's. (Projects half Done). and I'll be so smart when I finish working on my PhD's.
    Happy Quilting,
    Carol in De;laware

Blog Entries
    Is it never sews a stitch, it's a beauty.
    Abiding in the Vine

Blog Entries
    She is a beauty!

That is the sewing machine I learned to sew on....I have very fond memories of her. Congratulations.

Blog Entries
    Turning it into a hand crank is real simple and if you hate it you can always put a motor back on it. I would recommend getting a finger guard for the needle unless you really want to be vaccinated. Check sew-classic for both and she has instructions how to do the hand crank.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

thank you Miriam, I never would have thought of a finger guard. That is too funny! Thank you about the info on sew-classic. I will have to look them up. Have a great day!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by krista View Post
    thank you Miriam, I never would have thought of a finger guard. That is too funny! Thank you about the info on sew-classic. I will have to look them up. Have a great day!
    I'm serious about that finger guard on a hand crank.... I can't chew gum and walk so how would I keep my fingers out of the needle?
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Blog Entries
    If you want to find out more about the machine call singer co with model number and they can tell you when it was made and where. They will also be able to tell you if it was orginally a hand crank. Good luck and congrats on your find.

Beautiful machine. Love the decals.

How beautiful. I gave one away for $25. Could kick myself now!
    Sharon (Gypsylady)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast