Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: My New Machine - Kenmore 1030

My New Machine - Kenmore 1030

So I took a chance on an auction and bid on a machine on a whim. I am so pleased that I did. My little machine arrived safely today. I am totally smitten with this little guy:

Name:  385D2E04-FED1-44BA-8681-800102D06FC5.jpeg
Views: 478
Size:  114.0 KB
    It runs and sews perfectly. It does have a bad bobbin winder which is really disappointing, but I have a shoddy Simplicity Sidewinder in order. It came with a case and most of the accessories. Not bad for $44!

Nice! What a cute machine.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I bought one just like it! Haven't tried it yet, but what a cutie! Yay to both of us!

I love my Kenmore 1030. I'm sorry FW fans, but this little machine is lighter and it zigzags. If you find one with the original case, it's way cuter than that solemn black Singer apothecary case. A wonderful little machine that always turn heads at the quilt club. =) (Oh, and sews well too! )
    *Note: Tonight's clairvoyant meeting cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

Blog Entries
    Wonderful. I still have my first machine—a 40-year-old Kenmore, which runs great. Enjoy your new machine!

Quote Originally Posted by maudeflanagan View Post
    So I took a chance on an auction and bid on a machine on a whim. I am so pleased that I did. My little machine arrived safely today. I am totally smitten with this little guy:

Name:  385D2E04-FED1-44BA-8681-800102D06FC5.jpeg
Views: 478
Size:  114.0 KB
    It runs and sews perfectly. It does have a bad bobbin winder which is really disappointing, but I have a shoddy Simplicity Sidewinder in order. It came with a case and most of the accessories. Not bad for $44!
    Very pretty! Yeah, I bought that Sidewinder and it's shoddy as heck, but it did wind a class 66 bobbin while I'm waiting for the new bobbin tire for the Rocketeer.

This is my very first machine!!! My Dad bought it for me when my oldest son was a baby and I adore it!!!
    The first thing I made on it was Christmas stockings
    I could never part with it. Haven't used it lately but cleaned and oiled and it still runs well. I used it for almost 25 years exclusively.

So I have been sewing on my machine periodically (I bought it mainly for sewing while at someone else's house) and I have noticed there is something it's struggling with. I was sewing some HSTs in a 9-patch formation, and anytime I had to start a seam where there was a diagonal HST seam at the beginning, the machine struggles to pull the fabric under the needle. I tried using a leader scrap bit of fabric to make sure the fabric wasn't sucked into the needle plate, but this didn't help.

I believe the 1030 only came with a zigzag plate, so I don't know if I can get a straight stitch plate for it or if that would help. It almost feels like the feed dogs are unable to grab the fabric like they are supposed to. The feed dogs are moving as they should as far as I can see. I tried adjusting the presser foot pressure, that doesn't seem to help.

Anyone have any ideas for the problem or a solution?

Are you using a zig-zag foot or a straight stitch foot?

Another idea would be to make sure the first stitch on the diagonal is slightly in from the edge.and holding onto the leader scrap the first few stitches.

Another idea would be to place tissue paper or tear-away stabilizer (maybe wash-away would be better) under the start of the seam.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 02-26-2019 at 07:15 AM. Reason: improve answer
    Janey & John

That's exactly why my Elna 62C can't piece. I've never found a cure - yes, I did. I bought a 301.

I am using a straight stitch foot. It's a 1/4" patchwork foot that is normal width, but the "toe" of the foot is skinny.

I have a Kenmore 1040 which is the same machine. I love it and it is small like a FW but with zigzag. You can get
    a straight stitch plate for it. The bobbin winder should be able to be adjusted or fixed. The parts should be like a lot
    of other Kenmore models. I think there is a hidden lever to lower the feed dogs. Check to see that they are in the
    full up position. If adjusted this machine should sew just like any other heavy Kenmore.

Watch out when lifting up the plastic lid just in front of the needle plate. The hinges are plastic pins and like to break off.
    Most machines you find will already have these broken off and the plate won't stay put on the machine. If yours break
    off I have devised a fix.

Don't give up on the machine. They sew great when cleaned, adjusted, and lubed. Just like any full sized Kenmore.