Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My Pilgrimage...I Want to Go to Hillsboro, OR >

My Pilgrimage...I Want to Go to Hillsboro, OR

My Pilgrimage...I Want to Go to Hillsboro, OR

Old 03-03-2015, 08:50 AM

Default Hillsboro, OR GW

This is a huge warehouse where last chance things are sold. The clothes, and small items are wheeled out in huge bins and left for a time for people to raffle through with hopes of finding a treasure. Then wheeled out headed for the dump and another bin takes it's place.
Items are sold by the pound. I suspect the large items as furniture are priced individually.
The building adjoining is the mail order facility. I have not been in this building but my daughter goes there to pick up items she had bid on and avoids paying the postage. Luckily she lives close to the facility. She has been very pleased with what she has purchased. I do not know if items are displayed in this area.
Just don't expect to see a 'store' like facility when you go to the Hillsboro GW. Instead of racks and shelves everything is in bins except large items and furniture. There are several regular GW with in a few miles where we check frequently looking for fabric, sometimes finding quality fabric.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:16 AM

Yes - the 301a was a good find! But it made up for the Elna Zig Zag I bought on ShopGoodwill.com in which the poor resolution Goodwill photography concealed the missing stitch width control lever. That one was a loss - I never could find a replacement lever and ended up giving away the machine.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Borletti Milano View Post
So I walked into the store and the first bin I get to I see a Singer grasscloth-covered sewing machine case. My heart started to race - I love those old cases, so I hustled over and was saw that the case was marked $20. I thought to myself that that seems like a decent price, then pulled the case out of the bin (surrounded by broken weed trimmers, liking cabinets and home appliances) and it was a little too heavy. Sure enough - inside the case was a beautiful mocha Singer 301A longbed, a Singer Zigzagger and all four cams and instructions, the original 301A accessory box with all the presser feet etc, original beige foot controller and machine instruction manual. I thought I'd hit the lottery. I quietly closed up the case, walked to the register, paid and hauled out of there, thinking that at any second a voice would boom over the public address system "Attention shopper with the Singer 301A - that machine was misplaced...we should have asked way more..."
I had an almost identical experience at the Value Village store in Tigard. DH was in the Woodcrafters next door, so I went over to see if there was any interesting sewing stuff to find. Out of the corner of my eye I spied the grasscloth case. I would have just bought the empty case for the price. It was heavy and I opened it to find a Mocha longbed 301A with manual, foot controller and accessory box. I shut it and RAN to the register ... it was marked $4.99 ... I got an Elna Lotus SP at a garage sale for $5 that my DH still says I stole from him after he asked me if it would be a good machine and I ran over and scopped it up to run to pay the seller. It's still my favorite class/travel machine.

I've considered bidding on machines from the Hillsboro GW, just never have. I'm an hour away and when you add time gas, plus their $4 "handling" fee, it makes most things more that I want to pay. I've found most of my deals on craigslist. There is a GW outlet in Salem but I rarely find anything good so I don't stop much anymore. Once upon a time in a different life (and with a different spouse) I did a lot of shopping there. My oldest child still has a phobia about being poor and having to shop second hand.

Last edited by Skyangel; 03-05-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:05 AM

To Skyangel -

Amazing score - especially when I see what some machines go for in the Goodwill auctions.

That Lotus is probably pretty lousy...you should sell it. I'll give you $20 - you'll make a 400% profit! (jk)
Old 03-06-2015, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Borletti Milano View Post
To Skyangel -

That Lotus is probably pretty lousy...you should sell it. I'll give you $20 - you'll make a 400% profit! (jk)
LOL don't badmouth my Lotus, it's a sweet machine. DH would have a fit if I thought about selling it! I even hauled it along to Florida last year so I could sew while DH was in class .