Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting pilgrimage >

Quilting pilgrimage

Quilting pilgrimage

Old 09-30-2012, 05:46 AM

Default Quilting pilgrimage

My family and I went to Intercourse, PA yesterday. Thanks to all your tips I visited every single corner in that town. It was totally worth 3hour drive from Long Island. My head was spinning like a windmill. There are quilts everywhere and they were all gorgeous. I think this is going to be my regular thing from now on. Your beloved LQS is going to look very different after visiting this amazing place. I bought all my fabric in the Old Country Store and I was floored with their customer service. A lady, I think her name was Ingrid, was helping me for hours. I was buying Batiqs for a Bargello and her help was immense. 20 Batiqs and 3 hours later I hit the solids section and went nuts. I think I bought enough fabric that when stretched would go all the way to Alaska. My husband and kids went exploring on their on their own and left in my haven / heaven. This is a quilting Mecca! Afterwords we got lost on purpose in the countryside and it was like being lost in a beautiful painting. Laundry and quilts drying on the lines in front of the beautiful little houses with gorgeous gardens set against the green beauty of a farm. I think this is my inspiration for my next quilt. If you live in the tristate area or in PA or VA trust me this place is worth the drive. If you live elsewhere in the world definitely put this place on the list of things to see. There were people from all over the world there. And while my great helper Ingrid and I took over countrs to lay out all the 20 Batiqs people were stopping by, talking to us and suggesting different fabrics, inquiring about patterns. What an experience! Thank you all for your wonderful advice and suggestions. We have seen it all from the Edged Weaponry Museum, to yummy foods and exquisite quilts. But do me a favor, do not leave your camera on the kitchen counter at home like I did. Oh, and by the way, we think we finally found an area to retire in that suits us both. We still have some 15 years until then, but it is fun to dream.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:58 AM

I'm glad you had a good time! I went to a quilt retreat in Denver, PA which isn't far from Intercourse and I was also awed by it! The fabrics and prices and the people can't be any nicer.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:01 AM

I need to put this on my places to visit list.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:04 AM

Thanks for sharing your visit. I can almost see it in my mind and hope to see it in person some day.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:38 AM

I was at Burkholder's in Denver yesterday as well...could have had a QB member meet-up LOL I am lucky to live only 90 minutes from Intercourse, PA in MD and my quilt group visits he area frequently. Tashana, if you ever get back there, try Burkholder's in Denver and Sauders near Denver. Good's (a Mennonite owned store that carries everything from clothing, fabric, home goods, candles, tools and home improvement items...my husband loves it) and Shady Maple grocery Store in East Earl on RT 23 as well as Obie's on Rt 23. Obie's is a quilt store that carries every novelty fabric you can think off. Fabric is stacked floor to ceiling and it is pretty tight in there but the owner knows where everything is and if you are trying to locate a piece of fabric from way back when, they are more than likely to have it!
Everything is pretty close distance wise..I can get from Burkholder's to Rt 23 in about 30 mins and from there to Rt 340 (intercourse etc) in about 15-20 mins....
Old 09-30-2012, 06:54 AM

i only get to shop online from the the old country store but it looks fabulous i would be in heaven to get to visit there. it would definately be a dream for me. hmmmm i wonder if i could find stuff for hubby to do how far is it from oklahoma ? i definately have to check into this lol. how do you google guy stuff lol? even better if i can make him think its his idea )))).
carla m
Old 09-30-2012, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by IndigoQuilter View Post
I need to put this on my places to visit list.
Ditto. If I ever get back to New York it will be on the list.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

Ive been ther a few timez, its disney for quilters. I want to go back. Lucky you.im glad you got a good stash. Can you show us the goodied you got
Old 09-30-2012, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

thanks for sharing the 'tour'