My Rocketeer! Poor thing!

Old 03-15-2013, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
You can see one that I did,... it's not the dirtiest one I've ever had, but it's the one I photographed the process on, here: http://www.archaicarcane.com/2013/01/the-difference-a-day-makes/

The pictures are small, but if you click on them, they get clearer.
From your blog: "A quick look on the Internet yielded a recipe to rid the machine of its unwelcome scent: 1 cup Peroxide, 1/4 cup of baking soda and a tiny bit of hand soap. We mixed it up and put it into a spray bottle, sprayed it on and let it dry then wiped it away. The smell seems to be gone now, but I haven’t done a kitty sniff test yet."

What kind of hand soap did you use; liquid, paste, bar, brand ????

None of our machines have been violated by our puddy tats, but other things have.

Also, is Oxycleen a powder or a liquid and which did you use?

Joe
Old 03-15-2013, 01:41 PM

Maybe, I reckon!!! Great deal! I would love to have one, just don't have anymore space for them...
Old 03-15-2013, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
From your blog: "A quick look on the Internet yielded a recipe to rid the machine of its unwelcome scent: 1 cup Peroxide, 1/4 cup of baking soda and a tiny bit of hand soap. We mixed it up and put it into a spray bottle, sprayed it on and let it dry then wiped it away. The smell seems to be gone now, but I haven’t done a kitty sniff test yet."

What kind of hand soap did you use; liquid, paste, bar, brand ????

None of our machines have been violated by our puddy tats, but other things have.

Also, is Oxycleen a powder or a liquid and which did you use?

Joe
I think it was either Dial Liquid soap, or there's a chance we even used Dawn. I can't fathom how a bar would ever work....

Oxy is a powder.

Our machines and rest of the house have for the most part not been violated either. I've had 2 machines now though that have been violated prior to their arrival at the house. One was the 401 I detailed in that post, and the other was a Kenmore I was tuning up for a client. I recognised the cats' and dog's interest in the machine the second time and hid the machine unless I was working on it.

The 401 passed the sniff test too. Now if only I could find the magic solution to eradicate stale cigarette smoke smells and make the 301 friendly to live with. Phew!
Old 03-16-2013, 01:49 AM
Power Poster

How do you get that smell out of the motor? I have a blue clone with a smelly motor. I'm thinking different motor?
Old 03-16-2013, 02:46 AM

ArchaicArcane,

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna try that.

Miriam,
Go to an auto parts place and get some electrical motor spray cleaner and hose it out. That might work.
My blue clone still blows smoke clouds when I use it. I'm gonna try that before I take the motor apart.

Joe
Old 03-16-2013, 10:15 AM

I would think too that it's mostly the motor case that smells...disassemble, spray the peroxide solution onto the case pieces (not the coils or the armature) and let dry, rinse and reassemble. Might work. If there are any of the rubber grommets for the wires, or marettes change them out too. The plastic and the rubber will have soaked it up, and when they get warm.... yuck.

I had an electrical guy tell me to use brake clean.... it might work if the electrical motor spray doesn't. If nothing else, that brake clean should be able to overpower the other smell. It smells awful.

I'd probably do a double feature. motor cleaner on the armature, I still don't think I'd do the coils, or at least be really careful if they're the wrapped ones (like the singer motors) and then do the peroxide on the outside.

Maybe you'll find your "occasionally open circuit" too.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:46 PM

Tammi,

Breakclean is designed to remove oils and grease from break parts. Break parts consist of metal, rubber and plastic. So it's doubtful it will hurt any of the motor parts.

I just might take the motor off the blue clone and hose it the the breakclean.

Joe
Old 03-16-2013, 12:55 PM

There's some brand of brake cleaner that DH got from Princess Auto (our version of Harbor freight, I think) that was chlorinated and non-flammable (inflammable?) and it melted plastic. Make sure you use the regular old nasty smelling alcohol based stuff. It's cheaper and works better too. We paid more for destruction. I was not pleased.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:59 PM

The chlorinated stuff is pretty hard to find around here. I actually prefer it when doing car parts, but with other things I prefer the non-chlorinated stuff. To me it all stinks.

Joe