Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My Sewing came back home after 25 years!! >

My Sewing came back home after 25 years!!

My Sewing came back home after 25 years!!

Old 01-30-2012, 10:21 AM

GirlyGirl, how terrific that you got your machine back!! There are so many things that I wish I had back now... it's a beautiful machine, and a wonderful story!
Old 01-30-2012, 11:50 AM

Such a heart warming story. I am so happy for you. It was meant to be you have it back. Great!!!!! Joy
Old 01-30-2012, 12:56 PM

My Sewing came back home after 25 years!! mine after 48
LET ME TELL YOU HOW GOOD MY GOD IS,
I was watching a show on TBN the precher prayed for things the devil had stolen to be RECOVERED & RESTORED i prayed along with him... sounded like a good idea i did not realize it was a GOD idea
My dad was a drunk and very mean my mom lived with him over 40 years but one time when i was 10 she left him for a couple weeks before he forced her to come home. he got rid of everything in the house that was hers. last year my cousin called me and said would you like to have to have your mom's old treddle machine? I said sure but i have no idea where it is .. she said i know where it is... Now that her mom (my dad's sister) was in a nursing home she could tell me she had it wow.... I was thrilled
but that is not the end a few days later i was at the bank as i started out of the drive way i noticed an estate sale across the street i was in a hurry and had no plans to stop but my car just went there almost by itself. i walked in and there sat an old dressmaker in cabinet for $25.00 i did not even stop to look at it i just handed the lady the money and walked on thru the house to see what else they had the electric had been turned off and it was not realy light in the house but when i got the machine outside i recognized evey scratch on it i asked the lady that helped me carry out if she knew where it came from she said her mother did not even sew it had sat forever in a corner with a lamp on it but she thought someone from a bar had give it to her..... PRAISE GOD I have both my mothers machines back I had alreay been sewing on both of the machines at the age of 10

Last edited by annies-best; 01-30-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:57 PM

I am soooo happy for you!!! I absolutely love vintage sewing machines and have many of them. Not one of the machines have a story other than some of them fell into my lap. lol Your sewing machine is a beauty and am glad it came back to you. BTW, I'm 47 too. (at least for the next few months)
Thanks for sharing your story!!
Nancy
Old 01-30-2012, 12:59 PM

Sorry , I forgot to tell you how happy i am for you that you got your machine back
congrats
Old 01-30-2012, 02:40 PM

Way cool! Beautiful machine!
Old 01-30-2012, 02:48 PM

Janis, and her name is "Lizzydell" !! When my Aunt Dell pasted away, I found out that her name was Lizzydell! so that is the name that I gave my baby!! Christmas was not Christmas without the box of Mr Bubbles bubblebath from my Aunt and little something that she made as well.......

Originally Posted by Janis View Post
I am so happy for you to get your machine back. It has a great story to tell, and putting that along with pictures of the owners, you included as a child when you sewed on it will make it even more special. What is her name?
Old 01-30-2012, 04:54 PM

Location: Living the dream. Part of the year in the east and part of the year in the west

What a great idea about writing the story out. I have the machine I learned to sew on. My mother bought a Singer Featherweight 222 k in 1958?? to darn pants and do repairs on our clothes. She hated sewing and used to cry when she did the repairs. When I learned to sew in Home Ec in grade 8 from an awesome teacher I was allowed to use the machine. I sewed all my clothes even when I was a registered nurse on that machine. I now have that machine-it was born in Nov 1957 and I was own in July 1951. This machine is serving me well now. I am using it to make quilt tops a project I promised my self to learn when I retired. I did it an I am having so much fun Great machine
Old 01-30-2012, 05:12 PM

GirlieGirl,
What a beautiful machine and a terrific story. I'm with jaciqltznok, write the story down and slip it into a drawer. I'm taking her suggestion and going to do it with all my machines.

best,
d
Old 01-30-2012, 10:05 PM

How wonderful for you :P that is such a great story. I agree that you should document this story and keep it with your machine. You and your family later would love to know how she returned to the fold.