My Vintage Christmas Toys

Old 12-24-2013, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
Actually, the handcrank may have come out with that cabinet. I’ve seen (photos of) other units set up this way, like maybe they were meant for dual-duty? In this particular treadle cabinet, the machine head is removed from the cabinet by simply pressing a metal tab and lifting the machine. No screws or bolts to mess with.

The head has feet underneath to allow it to set flat on a table top, so it conceivably could be removed from the treadle cabinet, placed on a table top in another room for use by hand, and then later placed back in the treadle for storage. It wouldn’t necessarily need a base, since storage protection would be provided by the treadle cabinet. Portability within a small space, if you will? I don’t know if this is the way it was marketed, but it could be used in that manner.

Congratulations on getting a 411G! I’ve had my eye out for a 401G or 411G, but I haven’t found one yet. My wife and I are definitely 401A fans, and I would love to get a treadle-able model in my collection.
Wow, that's a super sexy machine then!! All that flexibility must have cost someone a fortune. I hadn't heard of that sort of convenience in the 1890s, it must be super rare.

I have a 401A, 401G and 411G now. The 411G I wanted because of Miriam saying it could chain stitch. They're all really great machines, possibly the last great machines made by Singer. The slant feet and top hat cams are relatively hard to find, but things like the ability to insert two needles side by side is pretty cool.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
You must have been a good girl this year.
According to his avatar he hasn't been a girl at all this year
Old 12-25-2013, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
You must have been a good girl this year......where did you find the pliers?
Hi pocoellie,

As Mike mentioned, I’m of the male persuasion. It’s ok though, I’ve still been good this year. Or at least, as good as a guy can be I guess......

I snagged the pliers off of eBay. They’re the 3rd pair that I’ve snagged in the past couple of months. I’ve had a new modern pair for a few years, but I got tired of having to remember to bring them home or take them to a remote location to work on treadle belts, and decided to accumulate a fleet of them. LOL

This pair is the first Singer Brand that I have gotten, and I just wanted to have a pair with the Singer name on them.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-26-2013, 04:23 AM

I bought a Necchi Esperia in an original Necchi cabinet for $20 (the only reason I bought it!!) - the veneer is quite beautiful and the machine will be too after a bit of Muv luv. No pics yet
Old 12-26-2013, 02:33 PM

Anyone else get any Vintage Sewing Machine Toys for Christmas?

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-26-2013, 04:34 PM
Banned

sorta... This was originally published in 1881 ( A repair manual from the period!)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]453327[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2013-12-26-16.30.30.jpg  

Last edited by SteveH; 12-26-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:45 PM

CD - is that the pair with the chipped cutter?
Old 12-27-2013, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
CD - is that the pair with the chipped cutter?
No, while these have been used, the blade isn’t chipped. There’s some discoloration on them that may make them look chipped, but they haven’t been abused.

There was another pair that closed at about the same time that had a chipped blade. That pair had the belt guide on it for hole punching. This pair doesn’t, and these are only 5 inches long, compared to the 6 1/2 inch style.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails singer_belt_pliers01_01.jpg   singer_belt_pliers01_02.jpg  
Old 12-27-2013, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
( A repair manual from the period!)
Back in the days when they were still being called “machinery”. Good snag, Steve!

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-27-2013, 07:05 AM

I was watching that other pair - but DH thought it would be best to wait for one without the chipped blade. I think he really wanted me to forget about the notion of getting a set. I don't really have a need - but "need" went out the window long, long ago.

Right now I'm sorting through needles - life was much easier when all my vintage machines took Singer size needles.