Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Mystery Machine - Anyone recognise this Elna? >

Mystery Machine - Anyone recognise this Elna?

Mystery Machine - Anyone recognise this Elna?

Old 05-21-2015, 10:53 AM

This guy shows the zz version of your machine. He may know about yours. How cool would it be if it was a prototype or like the newly designed cars that drive around being tested with all sorts of addons so nobody knows what it really is. http://needlebar.org/main/elna/
Old 05-21-2015, 12:26 PM

mfoss did find a reference to the machine in Elna's literature so it probably was a production model but you're right, that would have been really cool! I still can't figure out the special features it was supposed to do. A pearl stitch? Without control of the swing needle - no camstack, no lever other than stitch length - I'm at a loss on that one.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:41 PM

It's identical to the Elna 3 ZigZag, made from 1958-1964. It has exactly the same body as your machine does ArchaicArcane. The differece is a few levers and built in zigzag. I'm sure you have found it by now. I didn't know they made straight stitchers only that late though. Maybe it could be upgraded to a version with the Elnagraph? Their stitch cam mechanism was used on many models up until the 70s at least.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:53 PM

I saw one of those the other day, it may have been on Google pics. I had never seen one before that. I like it though, simple. Let us know if you find out something more.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
It's identical to the Elna 3 ZigZag, made from 1958-1964. It has exactly the same body as your machine does ArchaicArcane. The differece is a few levers and built in zigzag. I'm sure you have found it by now. I didn't know they made straight stitchers only that late though. Maybe it could be upgraded to a version with the Elnagraph? Their stitch cam mechanism was used on many models up until the 70s at least.
I'm actually one of a few people who don't bond with these "early" Elnas, so I have very little background on these machines but what you say makes sense and does seem to jive with what someone said on my YouTube video about the same machine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZj1YRYE4jI

The thing I don't get - again from not really being into Elnas - is how the machine body must have been modified to allow control of the zig zag mechanism with the addition of the Elnagraph. Maybe it could have been just as simple as a different top?

Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
I saw one of those the other day, it may have been on Google pics. I had never seen one before that. I like it though, simple. Let us know if you find out something more.
That machine was pretty solid and it sewed a nice seam once I peeled the whole bobbin and hook area apart and cleaned and adjusted everything. The thing that puts me off this series of machines is that motor pulley. I've never had a machine come across my bench that didn't need one and the quality of the reproduction pulleys is poor - or at least the ones I have easy access to seem to be - the one I put on this machine in the video ate itself in a day.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
The thing I don't get - again from not really being into Elnas - is how the machine body must have been modified to allow control of the zig zag mechanism with the addition of the Elnagraph. Maybe it could have been just as simple as a different top?
Or maybe it was a way to rationalise production and just simplify the zigzagger setup for a lower priced product? It's a bit odd with swing needle needle bar, and half the point of it missing? A few aluminum parts and hinges might not matter much. The later models, a stage or two after Elna 3, had a the Elnagraph lid on top, not curving down like the Supermatics. I don't think the Elna 3 ZigZag model took cams, it was just a simple zigzagger. Still a bit of a mystery :- )

The thing that puts me off this series of machines is that motor pulley. I've never had a machine come across my bench that didn't need one and the quality of the reproduction pulleys is poor - or at least the ones I have easy access to seem to be - the one I put on this machine in the video ate itself in a day.
I so hope I can get my Supermatic good though. Rubber comes in very varying qualites unfortunately, I know from other areas than sewing machines. I came across a technical drawing of the Elna Supermatic friction wheel, it was the dimensions for a drilled out metal version with O-rings fitted in groves around it. I suppose it would have to be done in either brass, steel or aluminum. It would be a very lasting solution, but you would have to have access to a metal shop with an advaced drill out machine (not sure what the are called). Some rubber last for 50 years, in your case less than one, arghh...

Anyone who manage to find a lasting rubber wheel?

Last edited by Mickey2; 09-21-2015 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:49 PM

I have a 1973 Elna62C whose pulley doesn't need replacing! Lucky me.

I have a straight stitch Pfaff that is equally plain and had a movable stitch zz mechanism. My local repairman welded it for me so the machine would stitch perfectly straight. Like that Elna, I could never find any information on the machine. Very frustrating.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
Or maybe it was a way to rationalise production and just simplify the zigzagger setup for a lower priced product? It's a bit odd with swing needle needle bar, and half the point of it missing? A few aluminum parts and hinges might not matter much. The later models, a stage or two after Elna 3, had a the Elnagraph lid on top, not curving down like the Supermatics. I don't think the Elna 3 ZigZag model took cams, it was just a simple zigzagger. Still a bit of a mystery :- )

I so hope I can get my Supermatic good though. Rubber comes in very varying qualites unfortunately, I know from other areas than sewing machines. I came across a technical drawing of the Elna Supermatic friction wheel, it was the dimensions for a drilled out metal version with O-rings fitted in groves around it. I suppose it would have to be done in either brass, steel or aluminum. It would be a very lasting solution, but you would have to have access to a metal shop with an advaced drill out machine (not sure what the are called). Some rubber last for 50 years, in your case less than one, arghh...

Anyone who manage to find a lasting rubber wheel?
Well, I bet the info on that Elna is in the Elna Heirloom Yahoo group if I looked hard enough. I think that's likely where you found the info on the pulley too. I think some were having it 3d printed or something. If I were keeping one of these machines, I'd probably go that route.

I hear Ron White might have better pulleys. I think I read that he is very discerning about the ones he picks. I have easy access only to one via the Canadian supplier here and I don't think theirs is this highest quality,.. or else I'm just lucky. They tell me that I'm the only one who's had to return/warranty them despite what I read in the E.H. Yahoo group.

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
I have a 1973 Elna62C whose pulley doesn't need replacing! Lucky me.

I have a straight stitch Pfaff that is equally plain and had a movable stitch zz mechanism. My local repairman welded it for me so the machine would stitch perfectly straight. Like that Elna, I could never find any information on the machine. Very frustrating.
You are lucky indeed! I wonder if this is a product of our environment. We don't get really stuck machines because we're quite arid but I can dry rot or harden anything rubber in no time flat!

I hadn't really thought of forcing a ZZ needlebar to be stationary! Why did you opt for that vs finding a SS only machine?
Old 09-22-2015, 03:15 AM

Well, I bet the info on that Elna is in the Elna Heirloom Yahoo group if I looked hard enough. I think that's likely where you found the info on the pulley too. I think some were having it 3d printed or something. If I were keeping one of these machines, I'd probably go that route.

I hear Ron White might have better pulleys. I think I read that he is very discerning about the ones he picks. I have easy access only to one via the Canadian supplier here and I don't think theirs is this highest quality,.. or else I'm just lucky. They tell me that I'm the only one who's had to return/warranty them despite what I read in the E.H. Yahoo group.

Yes, I found the Elna group a couple of days ago. I bought an old Supermatic recently and I have been searching up and down the web for anything relevant. I have to take a chance on Ron White's rubber wheel then, and hope for the best, at least not the Canadian source then. I haven't taken appart the hand wheel yet, but there are slight noises there that probably should't, metal clunky at times. I have to tackle adjust ing zigzag movments in the Elna cam, and it looks like Jim there is the best help anyone could ask for. These adjustments are way advanced, and out of what I'm used to, I use several days to get anywhere. It's fun too though

Last edited by Mickey2; 09-22-2015 at 03:19 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:55 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=ArchaicArcane;7324266]

I hear Ron White might have better pulleys. I think I read that he is very discerning about the ones he picks.

Tammi I think you mean Ray White. I don't think Ron White gives a rat's *$$ about sewing machines, lol.

Cari