mystery treadle

Old 01-15-2015, 04:16 PM

Default mystery treadle

first off, There is a treadle at Freds, it's a new home stand, they used a singer table top. then out of old paneling made drawers. At first sight it looks like a singer plain Jane 4 drawer in pickled oak

Because of all the cabinets I didn't even see this one untill yesterday. I seeing this it came off japanese, by the front door. which was hanging there by one hinge. open it up and there's a late model brown singer treadle. it also had electrical setup inside , maybe an add on.

I do think the cabinet and door are original. The machine is a clone it badge is a sticker with 1952 delux model. FYI this clone is better than any real singer I have ever seen, very quite, only clicks at the feed dogs, put fabric in there and there is no sound at all when treadling.

So, I've always wondered and done many years trying to find when singer stopped making treadles.

The interior wood on the cabinet looks like mahogany . The type used starting late 50's in the USA as a plywood back sheet. as in the back of old paneling. yet most Asian wood products after WW II was made of mahogany, cheap light weight wood.

The door just comes off again in design. but many of the 50 / 60's console stereo's had a simpler design.

so what is this thing, Asian singer ? last of the USA made treadles ? or Home made ?
It's real !!! It had a piece of old paneling nailed over the back sheeting. I just removed the paneling. It's a real parlor cabinet no question.. from when and where ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506245[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506272[/ATTACH]

I doubt very much this machine goes to the cabinet

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506273[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_0371.jpg   100_0373.jpg  
Old 01-15-2015, 05:11 PM
Banned

I don't know anything about the cabinet. The machine looks like a Japanese 15 class clone. I have 5 or 6 of them, different 'brands' but all are strong good machines. They only do one thing but they do it so well. Nothing makes a better straight stitch than a straight stitch machine.

Cari
Old 01-16-2015, 01:10 PM

My franken treadle stand will cause someone to scratch their head later on. The top piece is from a Singer coffin top treadle and the irons are Elgin made by The Free Company. My Singer treadles share the cabinet, shown are a 1914 Singer 66-1 with red eye decals and a 1914 Singer 115 with Tiffany decals.
Sharon in Texas
Attached Thumbnails 1910-singer-red-eye-003.jpg   skateboard-linus-quilt-007.jpg  

Last edited by purplefiend; 01-16-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:07 PM

From the big "SINGER" cast into the treadle I'm going to guess that it's a Singer cabinet. I don't know what the rules for dealerships were back then, if Singer allowed a dealer to put a non-Singer machine in one of their cabinets or how they would know if the dealer did. It's possible the cabinet and machine may have been together since the machine was new though I would expect a lift assist instead of the empty space on the left if it was a dealer install.
It could be the owner just stuck the machine in a treadle cabinet they had lying around too (more likely IMO).
I don't think the cabinet will help you narrow down when Singer stopped making treadles unless you can find the cabinet in one of Singer's catalogs.
I would have expected a 1952 Japanese clone to have a feed dog drop knob. I assumed it was the older machines from right after WWII that didn't.
Rodney
Old 01-16-2015, 08:48 PM

The clone didn't come with that cabinet, in fact it's about 1/4" to wide to fit. I have a metal plate that fills in the gap, should say I found it laying in that trailer, bit it screws to the rear under side of a machine. I does seem like there's a singer in all these machine that has screw hole under the bed. other wise the only machine I know of that uses that type plate is my Brunswick treadle.

I've tried to post a photo close up of the pedal in the cabinet, it won't load. I have it sanded down , there is no question in a factory singer cabinet, ( usa ?? ). mid to late 30's they went to the tube straight leg. Those were always painted brown , same as this iron work.
on the machine it has feed drop, but it's like a singer under the bed
I just got an other Tiffany today, sure as shoot'n it's a 15 ;(