Name that whatsit!

Old 10-03-2012, 07:21 AM

The silver grommet is used to make covered buttons. It comes with a kit which incudes a soft plastic mold, which holds the fabric and top of the button. The "grommet" is used to force the back into the button form.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
The presser foot on the right will fit my White Rotary or my Leader - made by National. Both have the big nut that holds the presser foot in place. It looks to be the right size for the Leader which is a tiny machine. PM me if you need a home for it.
That sounds great. PM sent. I want to see this stuff used rather than sit in my sewing box and not have a lot of chance to ever get used!

Originally Posted by MrsBoats View Post
First picture, second row, center: Might that be a cam follower for a bobbin winder? The hole in it looks like it might take the pip end of a spring.

The two nuts on the bottom row also look like they might be off a bobbin winder. The only place on a sm that I know of with a square nut is the back of a bobbin winder, on the eccentric screw that holds the cam and cogged gear together.

The spring thing (first pic) might have come from a ruffler, or something like it.
I would definitely believe that it might be the cam follower you mention. It doesn't appear to be for any of the Singer machines I have here (it's not chromed, and it's smaller and shaped differently than the ones here, but I can see the resemblance. I will keep the nuts with it I guess.

I forgot to mention. When I found the spring, it was wrapped in tissue paper, separate from the rest of the parts. I want to say it came with the box of (greist) feet with the FW, but I'm not 100% positive on that...

Originally Posted by gorleston girl View Post
The silver grommet is used to make covered buttons. It comes with a kit which incudes a soft plastic mold, which holds the fabric and top of the button. The "grommet" is used to force the back into the button form.
Hah! Thanks for this! That Black plastic piece isn't part of that same set, is it? I suppose that because I don't have the whole set, and if I bought a set I'd get these pieces, I might as well recycle it (them)?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:00 PM

Top picture, middle row first 'thingy',looks like a J. Is an upper thread guide for a featherweight . Ask me how I know? Been looking for one for a while. Finally found one on ebay last week. Good luck with the rest of them.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:41 AM

You're right, it looks very similar. I compared it to my upper thread guides though, and the metal on the mystery J thing is thicker, and it's shaped somewhat differently. There's also no way to secure it to anything. I'm at a loss.