Necchi BF

Old 12-25-2011, 11:20 AM

I love my old Italian Necchi, she is a real workhorse.... and has a bazillion miles under her belt, still going strong!
Old 12-25-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by rosiewell View Post
Hi Grannyh67, my mom used to work for Necchi teaching new buyer how to use the machine back in the 60's and 70's, she loved the machine and I still have one which I keep for sentimental reasons. Don't see many around anymore.
I hear you, well this one looks great and sews great also, I think it is a BF Nova, I am still trying to fins out when it was made. I have found a site where you can get lots of manual's for old machines. I found one for Her. I am going to get it soon. I got a manual for my Kenmore 50. Can't wait to get it, that is a great machine too.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:55 PM

Necchi didn't keep good records, so the serial number doesn't say much. The fact that the insignia has VN rather than an N means it is pre 1950, as is mine. In the 1949-50 range. they dropped the V for Vittorio and only used the N for his last name. These are considered Novas. Does yours have a knee controller? I'd like the website for the manual because I don't have one either. My previous owner had put a hand drawn threading guide in the drawer which was good as this machine doesn't thread like my others. She can share bobbins and attachments with my Elna, which is nice. Did you get any interesting attachments? Our vintage ladies are such fun.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:22 AM

I have a few vintage Necchi sewing machines and absolutely love them...you will love your machine.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:00 PM

Default Necchi BF

Originally Posted by Grannyh67 View Post
OK, I bought another machine today. It is made in Italy and and is a Necchi # under the base is 703391 . It says Model BF, I know the BF means it is straight stitch only. I just want to know if anyone else has any one of these machines and are they a good machine. I sews pretty good. I just need a manual so I will know more about it. If anyone out there can help me I would greatly appreciate it. I am posting a Pic also.
Hi..I know this is a "late" reply...
I have my mother's Necchi BF which her mother gave her in 1946. My mom's mother gave her two daughters each a sewing machine to start housekeeping. My mother chose a Necchi, whereas her sister chose a Singer 301!

Why my mom chose this machine I'll never know. It was not as well known as Singer. You can look thru housekeeping magazines of that era and see Singer's advertised but rarely do you see Necchi!!

As it turns out Mom's choice was a great one. This little compact machine is beautifully simple and exquisitely engineered. I was able to get a manual for it...an original manual and the translation is a bit strange from the Italian. For example sewing thread is referred to as the "cotton" in the threading instructions. I think Singer's drop in bobbin is a bit easier to use than the Necchi vertical bobbin, however the Necchi is just as durable and strong as any Singer. I see you have a box of attachments. Alas, mine are misplaced. I may find them yet..but oh well. ..I did have to replace the motor on my machine since the wiring had disintegrated with age. It works great now!

Well serviced, I think you have a great machine. I believe Necchi is credited for introducing the FIRST zig zag sewing machine to the US.

This model, the BF, is the simplest of the Necchi's from the late 1940's. I enjoy using the one I have.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:02 PM

I have heard that Necchi's are tight enough tolerance that they are often though to be "locked up" just for want of proper oiling. Also these early nova's especially the ZZ ones ( BU models I think) are sought after and prized by "treadlers" as they have an easily converted to treadle design and are newer and a little more modern and yet tough and simple. ( not to mention a decent treadle ZZ is kind of hard to find )
Old 05-10-2012, 05:12 AM

Congrats. She looks beautiful. Thanks for posting.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:11 AM

Necchis are so elegant. I have been wanting a BU to add to my collection. Patience is a virtue and I will wait till I find one or it finds me. LOL
Old 05-10-2012, 06:24 AM

Vintage Necchis have wonderful reputations and are held in high regard.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

I've heard that they are great machines when up and running.