Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Necchi BU Mira Motor not working >

Necchi BU Mira Motor not working

Necchi BU Mira Motor not working

Old 05-03-2018, 12:08 PM

Default Necchi BU Mira Motor not working

So, I found a Necchi BU Mira Series Machine at a thrift shop and everything is in decent working condition. The wonder wheel turns and the needle moves, but the motor will not turn. Is there anything that I can do to get the motor to work again, or something I should look for in it? I'm pretty new to all of this, but I'm very handy. I tried looking online for a replacement motor but have had a tough time finding one. If anyone could be of any help that would be fantastic! Cannot seem to upload images for some reason so here is all of the info on the motor:

110 Volts A.C/D.C Amps 1.0

CHAMPION
Made in the USA

Cycles 25-75 Universal Motor Model 2.4

Thank You
-Porsche
Old 05-03-2018, 01:49 PM

I don't think it's the original motor, snice necchi usually came with their own brand name motors. Is it a converted treadle? I would first check the pedal for capacitors, they will sooner or later go bad with age, and you can simply remove it until you find a replacement. The motor can most likely be repaired, check wire and plugs carefully, old wire often need to be replaced.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:26 PM

It is definitely not the original motor. It is blue in color.
Is a Converted Treadle non electric so that you pump the pedal? Very new to this. How would I check for a converted pedal?
Old 05-03-2018, 03:05 PM

Not many Necchi BUs came as treadle, but the odd one turns up every few years. There's not much difference to the electrical version, mostly the cabinet and the irons for the treadle bit. Most by far had electric from the start and odds are yours was too.

You can open the pedal on your machine and look for a small cylinder shape or squarish bit in there. Pedals look different, but most of them are very similar inside, but not all. This is a post on a how to sort out a Singer pedal. Since you already have a replacement motor you don't have to worry about loosing the original, but I'm guessing a US made motor is as good as most of the new motors available these days. You can always wire on a working pedal to check if you have access to one. If you post pictures it's easier to give more specific info, chance is someone here might have the same motor and pedal. Belt driven motors are very similar in genearl, I had a Singer motor appart to clean and grease it. It was well withing a DIY job, even though it took me twice as long as I expecte.d

Last edited by Mickey2; 05-03-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:25 PM

Unfortunately that was not a replacement motor. This one was the on the Machine when I found it, so no original motor either. I never thought to check the pedal itself, but where the pedal plugs into the machine the wiring does look very worn. The engine doesn't seem to be turning the belt.
I will try and upload some pictures tomorrow, but thank you for you help so far!
Old 05-03-2018, 05:30 PM

Can you take the belt off and see if motor works without a load?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:39 AM

Porsche, You didn't replace the motor, but a previous owner did. Not a big issue.

Check all the wiring carefully for breaks in the insulation.

If you loosen the belt or take it off to test the motor alone, take advantage of the situation to turn the handwheel by hand. IF it won't turn pretty freely it will need time and oil Necchis are built to close tolerance and will gum up from old oil if they sit for long enough. Make sure you use sewing machine oil and not 3 in 1 or WD-40.

Leon