Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need help with cabinet/machine ID >

Need help with cabinet/machine ID

Need help with cabinet/machine ID

Old 01-07-2020, 06:23 AM

Default Need help with cabinet/machine ID

Hello! I've got a drawing room cabinet a singer treadle in it, but can't figure out for sure what model of singer treadle I have nor the make/model of the cabinet. It looks like a Florence cabinet, but the singer machine (no idea the model) doesn't look like an add on. I can't find any singer cabinets with a fold down top like this on google... hopefully someone can help with the ID and let me know if I lucked out and got a rare piece for my wife :-) I have seen some of the singer serial number charts, but the number stamped on this machine is a bit odd to me as there are 2 numbers. I have the manual to it, but it is written in German and half of the cover page is torn off. The first serial number stamped would indicate an 1882 year group, but the patent date stamped in the base plate says 1879. I don't think it is either, but I don't really don't know. The cabinet is full of needles and accessories with a West Germany country of origin so I know it was made before the reunification of Germany :-D I have only ever seen elevator type of singer cabinets and not the folding type of cover this cabinet has so I am really at a loss. Any help would be appreciated!

- JT from Texas
Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

Old 01-07-2020, 08:35 AM

You have a model 12 fiddlebase transverse shuttle machine.

1882 sounds about right.

I've seen a very few of the folding boxes like that.

Welcome to the board.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:40 AM

Welcome to the board from NE Ohio, hope you're able to find the info you're searching for.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:41 AM

you will have a boat shuttle like the one on the right

https://www.quiltingboard.com/members/leonf-u169597-albums19738-584578.jpg
Old 01-07-2020, 12:24 PM

sorry picture options have been special since a conversion here.

maybe if you go to my profile then to my close up bits on page 2 you can see it. fingers crossed.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:37 PM

Thanks leonf. I found the pic, but unfortunately I can only view the thumbnail. When I click the pic all I get is some text (pic name). Will try again when I get home. I'm guessing since you haven't seen a many of these fold down top cabinet things (and based on the number of machines you have/have worked on in your albums) it was a pretty rare find?

I haven't had a chance to start digging around in it yet, but I wanted to learn more before (if) I start taking things apart. I didn't know about the shuttle and will look around for it, There are several things in the drawers. All I know for sure is that everything moves without binding. I don't think I have any bobbins for it. Since I now know it is a model 12 I found a few online to buy and will see about extra needles. Thanks for the help and for the welcome!!!

- JT
Old 01-07-2020, 01:39 PM

The slide under the needle that goes to the left may be hiding your shuttle. Gently try to pull it open. Don't be afraid to quit for the day and add sewing machine oil to the sides of the slide. it may stop about halfway out and expose the shuttle. if you turn the hand wheel, the slide may pull out further and the shuttle may appear for you. just be gentle with every thing you do and don't get any water near the little beastie. you may get to see the shuttle from the bottom if you can tilt the machine away from the operator.

Yea, you won't find them often I traveled a ways to grab mine.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:22 PM

I finally got home and got to look through things. The slide came open with no trouble and the shuttle was there, with a bobbin in it. LOL now I can't remember how the shuttle came out! There was a box with 6 additional bobbins and about a dozen different feet and ~15 needles. I have attached a pic with all the bits that were in the drawer. Everything seems to be quite smooth in operation... once I figured out to engage the stop "button" on the wheel to make the needle move lol. The belt is quite old leather and I'll probably have to replace it if we put it to regular use. There is an "s" hook thing holding the ends together and I'm not sure it will last very long under stress. Maybe this is better left as a "show" piece... I feel bad to let such an amazing machine just sit, but I also feel bad to use a piece of history!

- JT
Attached Thumbnails 7.jpg  
Old 01-07-2020, 08:14 PM

Hi JT!
I hear you about feeling bad to use a piece of history, but your machine was definitely well-loved and used, probably to make lots of clothes for a family, or several families! I think of objects like this as meant to be used, even if gently, like the vintage fountain pens I also collect.
1882 seems the right date; you always go with the higher of the two numbers on the stitch length plate. Patent dates stamped in things like this machine and fountain pens are often older than the things they're stamped on...
Here's how I learned to thread the shuttle on mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppgunmtq9aU
There are replacement needles that can be found on ebay and etsy and some other sources; original Singer needles for the 12 will be hard to find.
Manuals can often be found online or bought in physical or PDF form from sellers -- here's a PDF of the British version of the manual for your machine: http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...12k-manual.pdf
Also, here's an awesome video where a guy discusses your style of cabinet... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKXDfAX_-FQ
Parts like the treadle belt and even special pliers to trim and fasten it are relatively easy to come by. I've been a little obsessed with my hand-crank 12 on and off for a while. Learning how to bring one of these back into service and then making something with it can be such a joy!

Cheers!
Matt

Last edited by Rocketeer; 01-07-2020 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:47 AM

Ditto to Matt and using it., Your belt may have already been replaced many times over the years. Replacement can be done for less than $10.00 if you find a deal . The special pliers make it easier, but I did my first ones ( carefully) with a hammer and nail and pliers to punch holes in to the belt You have a treasure trove of accessories. and 6 bobbins. Wow. Good for you...