need help to identify machine

Old 11-07-2022, 03:28 PM

Smile need help to identify machine

i got this sewing machine and need help to identify it and get a manual and any restoration tips or oiling tips would be amazing. thanks
Attached Thumbnails sm.jpg   sm3.jpg   sm2.jpg  
Old 11-07-2022, 06:07 PM

Welcome to Quilting Board. Nice looking machine. To clean it, do not use cleaners or sometimes even just water will silver the decals. Most will wipe with sewing machine oil. There is a 'sticky' thread at How to Clean Up and use a vintage sewing machine - videos by Muv and Fav

It looks like it is a Vindex Type 2 made by National. http://www.needlebar.org/main/national/index1.html Unfortunately manuals are not very prevalent for some of these machines. While your machine doesn't have a front inspection plate on the nose end and the spool pin is in the middle of the arm instead of over the pillar, I believe that the Expert BT manual that is available at http://www.doubleveil.net/zssmp/expertbt.htm should help some. The manual shows oil above the motor, but there should be a hole on top of the pillar which is where you should oil it. There are not instructions for oiling the bottom, but basically one should oil where metal parts meet.

Have fun getting it back to do what it was intended to do.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 11-07-2022, 08:01 PM

Welcome to QB. Very pretty machine!
Old 11-07-2022, 08:06 PM

thank you, i am took more angled shots of it and ill add it to my album right away.
Old 11-09-2022, 05:36 PM

Momma had an old gtredle machine that looked exactly like yours. Her's was a Singer and was one of Grandma's first machines. Daddy told Grandma he would buy her a new one if she gave him the old one. Wish I still had that old machine.
Old 06-04-2023, 04:27 PM

Question

if i did the picture right i cleaned this national machine more and finally only noticed the sideways F above the serial number thats under the one half of needle plate. has anyone seen this before on another machine or know what it means? this could go a long way in helping me discover anything about this machine as i still have not come up with anything concrete lol.
Old 06-04-2023, 04:49 PM

No new picture showing. You cannot preview and have it show up. You also need to scroll over to the far right of the screen (after choosing photo) to find the "Upload" button.

Have you looked at the manual I referred to in my previous post?

Old 06-04-2023, 04:53 PM

yes i have and it was only partially helpful, my machine has differences that i only got so much out of that manual.
Attached Thumbnails nat.-1.jpg  
Old 06-04-2023, 05:20 PM

Are you referring to the motor differences or something else?

Old 06-15-2023, 03:31 PM

well yes the motor differences forsure but there are just inconsistency with what that machine has or looks like compared to mine. also the attachments are definitely different years as they are so different. so i tried to adapt to what was in the manual and use what i could but i had no luck but that could be from how its written or worded. i still havent really done much with the attachments as i just havent found the drive to figure them out in a different way.
i do have ripped up pieces of a manual that came with the machine but even that one is different version and i am missing so much of it it really only would help if i had the treadle version since that is all there. but even so it didnt have a specific model name on the front if i recall correctly.