Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need help identifying a Morse machine >

Need help identifying a Morse machine

Need help identifying a Morse machine

Old 03-05-2020, 03:44 PM

Default Need help identifying a Morse machine

Spoiler

My name is Jarred and I'm new to this site and sewing machines in general. I collect and buy/resell antique and vintage items in and around the Orlando area. New to my collection and interests are sewing machines and I've found it difficult to identify year of origin in machines in general but have learned a lot in trying. I would graciously accept any and all help in identifying this machine and possibly some in the future. If I'm in the wrong forum or area please advise.

In my line I've found people throw out the most useful and valuable items and I find myself driving around looking for such items the night before bulk trash pickup. The other night I went to purchase an antique roll top desk and when leaving the neighborhood I found, among other things, an old Morse sewing machine. Underneath the main base stamped into the metal are three sets of numbers. A JA number a JC number and what I believe to be the serial number. However I cannot find much on when it was made and by extension whether it's worth repairing even for personal use. Can anyone please help or point me in the correct direction? Thanks in advance.

And it seems I cannot figure out how to add pictures to this thread either so that may be of use as well.

Regards,
Jarred

​​
Old 03-05-2020, 03:49 PM

J-C31
J-A36
B21247
These are the identifiers stamped under the base

Last edited by Koalateaquilting; 03-05-2020 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:11 PM

Someone more knowledgeable than I am should be along shortly to help with what you're asking!
Welcome to the Quilting Board.
An alternative source of information is the Victorian Sweat Shop forum, it's all about vintage machines. Good luck!
Old 03-05-2020, 04:13 PM

Victorian sweat shop! Hahahaha good name I suppose. Thank you for your reply! I'll check it out
Old 03-05-2020, 07:36 PM

Welcome. Glad you figured out how to post pictures. I couldn't blow the pictures up so that I could tell some of the details.. It says they can be larger, but most have found that it doesn't work. The instructions on how to post can be found at Including Images and Attachments (as of 24 Jan 2020) or https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf

In case you just skim the pdf, a couple of things that I believe are particularly note worthy are that one must scroll over to the far right to find the "Upload" button to click and that I believe the picture maximum size may be incorrect, I think that the pictures need to be smaller than 1.9MB. Another thing that I noticed is that one can choose up to five images (if so desired) before clicking the "Upload" button. I also found that if you want to insert the image somewhere actually within the post, it takes a while for it to show the images that are available to choose (by clicking on the (paper clip icon) then you can click on which one you want and where.

There is a list of JA & JC numbers and manufacturers of said numbers at http://www.doubleveil.net/zssmp/resources.htm
It starts about 2/3rd the way down the page.

I didn't see Morse as being one of the badges for those numbers. I don't have a Morse badged machine, but I have read many good reports for them. From what I can see in your pictures, it appears that there isn't a nose plate or top. Did you take them off to take the pictures?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 03-06-2020, 09:25 AM

generally speaking JA or JC numers mean it was made in post war Japan.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:01 PM

Jared, I am interested in seeing a picture of your machine, as I have a Morse as well. Also, one of the saddest days in my life was when they stopped having bulk pickup in my county. so sad, lol.