Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need help with my Free No.5 treadle please! >

Need help with my Free No.5 treadle please!

Need help with my Free No.5 treadle please!

Old 03-07-2014, 08:08 PM

Glad you figured it out! Happy peddling....

Jp
Old 03-07-2014, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Marianne81 View Post
Jp, have you been able to get your machine to shine without removing the decals? I've tried turtle wax, which gave it a dull look, and then just rubbed sewing machine oil on it, fearing that anything else would silver the gold.
I bought this machine about 4 years ago and I think I used Go-Jo, the non gritty kind. I am not sure if that is approved of here, but I am pretty sure I read that on Treadle On way back then. Mine was not shiny afterwords either, but I did get a lot of grime off that way. Personally I am like you having a fear of messing up the decals but I do not think I have had any silvering of my decals w/what I have used thus far. I did recently use Turtle Wax, but I guess I did not buff well, because when I opened it today it still had some white areas on it so I then went over it w/sewing machine oil. I recommend you read the stuff on this board about cleaning. Personally I am a chicken and want to get a "practice" machine before I really try to clean one of my machines beyond just the surface grime. My 15-91 needs a lot more attention than my Free but it is dear to me and I don't want to make it any worse than it is so I leave it and it's kinda ugly as the clear coat crackled and a lot of it has rubbed off.

Sorry to have run on so and I hope you enjoy your Free!!!
Jp
Old 03-07-2014, 10:04 PM

Thanks for the info. I am a bit scared too, and will look into the trying something else. If I find something that works I'll let you know. I left a few parts of it rusty, like some of the nails, just to keep it antique looking, but I would like to have the body super shiny.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:11 PM

Please do let me know as I would like all my older machines to be shiny. Hope you can find the missing part you need also.

Jp
Old 03-08-2014, 11:32 PM

Based on what I've found online, I think I may just have to apply shellac on it again. The car wax is supposed to make it shiny, and if it comes out looking dull, that's a sign that the shellac is gone. There's a thread on this board that walks you through the whole process. It doesn't seem very difficult to do, especially if your machine is clean and only needs the shellac addition. I'm not sure how to add the thread link, but it was posted recently in this forum.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:15 AM

Oh yes, I have seen that one. I am a bit scared to try that to but I may. Hope you have good success.

Jp