Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need help with my Free No.5 treadle please! >

Need help with my Free No.5 treadle please!

Need help with my Free No.5 treadle please!

Old 03-07-2014, 10:50 AM

Default Need help with my Free No.5 treadle please!

I cleaned up my treadle and it runs smooth. The problem is with the stitches. I've wound the bobbin correctly, threaded the shuttle right, and pulled the bobbin thread through. When I try ti sew, the stitches aren't being made. There are holes in the fabric, so I know the needle is the right size and going through okay, but I'm lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I would love to get this up and running.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:14 AM

I am a novice here, but I have a Free #5 treadle also. Have you tried to watch what is happening when you make a stitch? In other words, take off the front slide plate and then turn the hand wheel to make sure the thread is going down and making a loop for the shuttle. Also, I found that I had to put the bobbin in a certain way for it to feed properly...unfortunately at this moment I can't remember which end was up, as the saying goes. Maybe someone else here can assist further. Also, is your needle in correctly? This one is flat side to the right, threaded left to right.

HTH,
Jp
Old 03-07-2014, 11:15 AM

Could you have put the needle in wrong? That is usually the problem.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:39 PM

Just in case you don't already have an owners manual:

http://www.ismacs.net/free/manuals/f..._ce_manual.pdf

Good chance it's needle related or something basic as there's not a whole heck of a lot to go wrong.

Jon
Old 03-07-2014, 02:24 PM

Thanks for all your help everyone! have the needle in the right way. I have been having a hard time getting it to take up the bobbin thread. I think that may be my problem. I threaded the shuttle correctly, but it's not catching the thread unless I sort of hold it in place. The bobbin thread moves to the right, away from the needle when I turn the wheel. Any ideas for what is going on here? I know it's probably something really simple, but is there a chance that these machines have timing issues?

Last edited by Marianne81; 03-07-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:12 PM

Marianne
I will look at mine and see if I can see anything that might help...I'll get back w/you...unless someone here helps you get it first.

Jp
Old 03-07-2014, 05:28 PM

Hi,

After checking all the basic stuff and replacing needle (15x1), like Minibarn was saying, examine why the needle thread loop is not snaring the shuttle by removing front inspection plate and using flashlight to watch. Imagine yourself as Sherlock
Old 03-07-2014, 07:35 PM

First of all, I am glad I opened my machine because I forgot just how easily and nicely it treadles...I really should use it more often. Anyway, here are two things I learned about my Free...when I put the bobbin in the shuttle, the pointy end needs to be down, not sure why but that seemed to make a difference and mine only likes 100% cotton thread. These things only seemed to affect how it sews and the tension, not the problem you are having.

Are you sure you have the right shuttle? Also, the top thread should be making a little loop for the shuttle to go through to pick up the bobbin thread, make sure that is happening...if not I really can't offer any help. Is it threaded correctly?

Hope you are able to figure it out because it is a nice machine to sew on. My Free was the first treadle I bought, and I'm not really sure why except that I thought it was so pretty. It came with the instruction manual (less a couple of pages) and all the attachments...which I have never tried to use. It is in a parlor cabinet and the decals are in very good condition. Such cute machines.

Jp
Old 03-07-2014, 08:05 PM

Thanks everybody for all your help. I figured out what was wrong. After taking a really good look at the manual and the needle with the face plate off, I see that I am missing a part- the needle stop. I fiddled with the needle a bit and kept lowering it until it worked. I guess I'll just have to fiddle with it whenever I change a needle. But it works! I am so happy. Thanks again!
Old 03-07-2014, 08:08 PM

Jp, have you been able to get your machine to shine without removing the decals? I've tried turtle wax, which gave it a dull look, and then just rubbed sewing machine oil on it, fearing that anything else would silver the gold.