Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need help with my vintage cabinet >

Need help with my vintage cabinet

Need help with my vintage cabinet

Old 12-27-2023, 09:03 AM

Default Need help with my vintage cabinet

My son gave me a Singer Clone White machine for Christmas, and it works great. I want to put it in my cabinet, which I've had for ages (and have been using as a table.)

The cabinet seems to be different from those I can find online. When the machine is lowered into the machine, it folds backward instead of rolling forward. I need a peg or something at the front right corner of the machine bed to keep it in place. There is a hole for that peg/whatever in the wood of the cabinet. Inside its own carrying case, there was a swiveling piece of plastic that accomplished that. (it's broken, or I would try to use it here.)

The large part of the wood top is hinged on the right, and when I lift it to open it, the machine rises from the inside. There is a strap system that operates that. The two doors of the cabinet open outward, and the left one helps to support the left side of the opened table.

I would like to know how to refer to this type of table while I search for the hardware I need.

I will try to get some pictures later.

Thank you!
Old 12-27-2023, 11:41 AM

I couldn't make a video clip small enough to attach here. I uploaded it as a youtube video: https://youtu.be/8Keug6SnWS0
Old 12-27-2023, 12:24 PM

Well that is a nice clear video, hopefully someone on the forum will be able to give you suggestions.
Old 12-27-2023, 04:08 PM

I am guessing that once upon a time, there was a "clip" (for lack of a better word) that you twisted to hold the machine in place. I'm "picturing" the clips that held a sewing machine in a "box". Sorry, I'm not coming up with the right words.

In the olden days, a sewing machine that wasn't sold in a cabinet was sold in a wooden box with some sort of a top. They had little "clips" that held the machine to the bottom of the box. So that you could oil the machine or do some other chore, the "clips" twisted (pivoted) to allow you to tilt the machine back.

I'm sure they have a name, but I don't know what it is.

bkay
Old 12-27-2023, 04:16 PM

Yes! That is what I am looking for.

I'd like to know more about the cabinet, too.
Old 12-27-2023, 05:03 PM

I can't help with the cabinet, but I'm wondering if something like screen clips would work. From my understanding they are different heights. If metal I would make sure that there is room to glue felt to the base. I'm not sure how long the original ones are, but are similarly shaped. https://www.familyhardware.com/searc...screen%20clips
Old 12-27-2023, 07:52 PM

Oh, those would work! Thanks! I will make a trip to Home Depot and see them in person!
Old 12-29-2023, 08:29 AM

I went to Menards, and the guy in the windows/doors department thought I should use metal, so he helped me find some bits and pieces that my husband was able to use to make a clip for me. Thanks for all your help.

I still hope to find more information about the cabinet, though!
Old 12-30-2023, 06:05 AM

Try http://victoriansweatshop.com.

bkay