Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need help with Singer 12 shuttle :-) >

Need help with Singer 12 shuttle :-)

Need help with Singer 12 shuttle :-)

Old 03-10-2015, 04:56 PM

Default Need help with Singer 12 shuttle :-)

I think I have the bobbin correctly threaded (via the manual and watching the one youtube video I could find). Although the video doesn't show as many steps as the manual recommends. My questions are:

1. How does the shuttle fit back into its case? The manual says to open the left slider and fit the shuttle in, but does not say which direction it should point. And the carrier doesn't really give me a clue either. I've tried both directions, and neither seems to make the carrier happy.
2. The manual says to pass the thread under the spring. Is that the spring on the side of the bobbin? There also seems to be a kind of spring/flap inside the machine on the carrier.
(wow, I wish we had a video of this process!)
Any help will be sincerely appreciated!
Old 03-10-2015, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ellpea View Post
I think I have the bobbin correctly threaded (via the manual and watching the one youtube video I could find). Although the video doesn't show as many steps as the manual recommends. My questions are:

1. How does the shuttle fit back into its case? The manual says to open the left slider and fit the shuttle in, but does not say which direction it should point. And the carrier doesn't really give me a clue either. I've tried both directions, and neither seems to make the carrier happy.
2. The manual says to pass the thread under the spring. Is that the spring on the side of the bobbin? There also seems to be a kind of spring/flap inside the machine on the carrier.
(wow, I wish we had a video of this process!)
Any help will be sincerely appreciated!
1. It points towards the needle (i.e. toward the right), lying down sideways (open part of shuttle away from you from memory) when inserting. This really got me, as the manual didn't explain it properly.
2. There are a couple of different versions of the shuttle. I don't have mine with me ATM, but I think the most complicated thing was passing thread through the sets of holes to get the tension right.

The carrier sometimes has a self closing thing (slider slides closed when the bobbin is moved to the right). Don't think my MOP 12 had this but my F&R from 1914 did and I've seen others from the 1890s with it.

Have a look at http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/12kshuttlethreading/ . They have a good description and pictures to go with it. The part you probably want is "in every case it must be passed under the spring on the outside of the shuttle."

Oh and be careful not to insert the needle all the way in: You have to set the height. This is not intuitive if you're not used to it. The needles are not easy to find either. Schmetz made them until relatively recently so get them while you can. No flat side, very small needle diameter.

Last edited by manicmike; 03-10-2015 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:12 PM

On my German machine which is modeled after the 12 the shuttle goes in with the flat to the front--not up and the point of the shuttle then fits nicely facing to the right.

The bobbin is threaded into the shuttle and there is more than one type but the thread should pass under the flat metal "spring" on the side of the shuttle.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:50 PM

Manicmike and Mrs.SewandSew, thank you for your helpful responses! The UK site does clarify about the spring, so that is very helpful. It does recommend using 3 of the 5 available tension holes, but when I did that the tension seemed VERY resistant. I've backed it off of one hole and will see how it works once it's installed and the needle is set.

Mmike, I found resources for both needles and *new*ly machined bobbins which seem to fit perfectly. I have a good number of needles, but I think only size 14s are available. I haven't gone in yet to try installing the shuttle, but will report back tomorrow! Let me know if anyone would like info on bobbins and needles... and thank you again (so much) for your help!
Ellpea aka Pamela
Old 03-11-2015, 08:17 AM
Banned

Pamela,

Stick with it! You will be well rewarded. the 12's are such a pleasure to sew with once set up. remember these were some of the first "machines" to be brought into the home, the idea of "plug and sew" was a LONG way off.. hehe

I'd always love to see potentially new sources for older bits. What I'D personally like to see is new 12 Shuttles being reproduced....
Old 03-11-2015, 12:55 PM

Steve H, I agree! There would be such a market for some of these hard-to-find bits. I swear, if I were going to look for a second career, it might be learning to produce these. As it is, some pretty amazing things are happening with 3-D printing... so it may only be a matter of time!
Old 03-14-2015, 12:14 PM

Hello, I'm just reporting back that I DID get the shuttle loaded into the carrier finally. The open side of the shuttle goes in facing front, which is the one thing I didn't try, being certain that would mean the bobbin might fall out. It doesn't, so now all I need to do is get the needle installed. I do have the correct needle and have cleaned the needle bar and the needle clamp. I posted a thread about the problem of finding where exactly to insert the needle -- if you have any suggestions for me please let me know! Thank you again for your help with my frustrating shuttle problem!

Best,
Ellpea