Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need instructions for removing a 99k from cabinet >

Need instructions for removing a 99k from cabinet

Need instructions for removing a 99k from cabinet

Old 09-12-2013, 12:42 PM

Default Need instructions for removing a 99k from cabinet

Hi,

I need to instruct someone from afar as to how to remove a 99K stitcher from its wooden cabinet.

None of my machines are in cabinets, so I thought I would send her a photo of my Singer 15 clone in its case, focusing on the two screws/hinges, which unscrew when the sewing machine is in its "open from case to access the bottom of machine" position.

If I send her a photo of that, and instruct her to seek two similar screws attaching her 99K to her cabinet, will this make sense to her?

Obviously she is not mechanically inclined and I need to make the instructions as simple as possible for her. Also, I have not actually seen/had a machine in a cabinet in order to inspect it, but I assuming it is there same two screws which hinge it into a carrying case. Please advise if I am missing anything.

Many thanks,

C.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Banned

spot on.

The small screw that holds the machine to the hinge on each hinge is all you have to loosen to remove the head (and the belt of course)
Old 09-12-2013, 01:18 PM

While the set screws have to be loosened to remove the machine from the pins, Remember - THESE ARE IN THE MACHINE. don't remove the screws holding the hinges to the cabinet. there is another problem - with older ones, they normally have the foot pedal hard wired as a Knee Control into the cabinet. While you can remove the control easy enough, normally the wire runs through a small hole and the only way to deal with this is to cut the wire and rewire it at some point, or to remove the part where the cord plugs into the machine, and unwire the foot/knee control. I have seen so many with cut wires, and it is not a big deal to do that. Almost ALL of the electric machines I've removed from cabinets had this issue, except the 400 series as they have plugs that go underneath the machine.

Last edited by Macybaby; 09-12-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:33 PM

That's interesting. I've only owned two cabinet machines, and neither one had set screws. I just slide the machine off the pins. Glad I saw this because I didn't know I was missing something. Never had a problem with the machine falling out of its cab, though.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:05 PM

Thanks; Here is a photo that the lady sent me; Steve, you are stuck on Treadle Mode (wink!) I think, when you talk about disengaging the belt, for the belt is just attached to the motor, not the cabinet. Unless I am missing something? QUITE possible, as I am really no expert.

Macybaby, I much appreciate the heads-up as to cutting (not cutting) the wiring! However, also from her photos, the machine has a foot pedal, not a knee bar, and therefore I am hopeful that there is no hard wiring for her to deal with.

Again, I very much appreciate your input, everyone! Thanks!

If all goes well, the little stitcher will be mine within the next few weeks. ;-)

Old 09-12-2013, 02:37 PM
Banned

yeah, I only have about 5 machines with motors.. All but one are shelved/stored.

so yeah, Treadle on the brain.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:39 PM

She needs to lift the machine and remove the screws on the bottom side of the machine on the hinges. Even if the controller is hard-wired, it's not too difficult to dis-assemble that. Essentially all she needs to do is un screw wherever there is a screw holding something together! I definitely would not cut ANY wires!
Old 09-12-2013, 04:19 PM

Got home and pulled out my 99K to look at it. This one has a notch in the bed of the machine to accommodate the wires. My newer 66 has this also, but the older ones do not.

She sure is a beauty! This one came with a pin wedges in the shuttle race - and it wouldn't sew at all. Looks like someone ran over a pin early in the machine's life, and it never got used after that.

The set screw

And the notch for the cords.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:25 PM

Macybaby. THANK YOU, that was so kind of you to post those photos!

If it i s okay with you, I will copy and paste that first photo of yours, which shows so nicely exactly the set screw(one of two) which she is to loosen.

Can anyone tell me how to do that marvelous thing with a red "online pen" which I have seen Joe and Steve do, where they write a note or arrow or circle or other directions in red on an online photo?

Many thanks.

Cecilia
Old 09-12-2013, 08:10 PM

Do you have a mac or PC? On the PC, I use a somewhat primitive program that comes with the computer, Microsoft Paint. Type Paint in the Start menu search box. Open Paint. On the upper left hand side there should be a set of tools. If you don't see a set of tools click View > Show Tool Box. Among the tools you'll see a diagonal line, click on that, then below that choose the thickness of the line. Then choose a color at the top, below the menu bar. Then click inside the picture and drag the cursor to make lines. To make points, make little lines at the ends of long lines. Play around until you get the lines where you want them. CTRL Z is "undo", so you can undo mistakes. When you're done click File > Save as [name the file] if you want to save the marked-up picture in addition to the original. If you have a mac, there is a similar program but I don't remember the details. Command Z is "undo" on mac.