Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need to know if this should be pursued >

Need to know if this should be pursued

Need to know if this should be pursued

Old 11-17-2018, 02:13 PM

Default Need to know if this should be pursued

At an auction that will happen Sunday, November 18th, there is a Kenmore 158.140 sewing machine in a cabinet that looks like it is all-metal and at least zig-zags, but I do not know if it is a "keeper". I do not know about older machines, just sometimes get intrigued with one that could be used for teaching. It comes with a foot pedal but nothing else.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:36 PM

The Kenmore model 14 was first offered by Sears in 1965. It is a Maruzen/Jaguar made machine manufactured in Japan. It's most likely a high shank machine with straight stitch, back tack, and zigzag (means you can buy commercial feet - which are cheaper). These are all metal machines and have the Kenmore extra large deck which means the machine will only fit in another Kenmore cabinet. Typically, these old machines just keep on sewing. If there's a weakness it's often the wiring get old or the motor giving up, and each can easily and cheaply be replaced. They take normal needles and class 15 bobbins that you can purchase at local stores.

Check the machine over, make sure the hand wheel will do complete turns and there's no obvious scorch marks on the motor. Run your hand over the cords looking for breaks, esp where the wire turns into the metal edges (like into the motor). The model 14 of 1965 is oddly a one year only, but that's more because they changed the numbering system then they did the design. By 1967 the newer Kenmore had become the model 1400. Lots of parts out there are still available and the old Kenmore machines are often an extremely good bargain. A similar machine here, in 'running' condition would bring 40 dollars on a very good day.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:38 AM

Wow, that was a most comprehensive and helpful reply to my posting! I was outbid on the machine, so will not continue investigating, but thanks!
Old 11-19-2018, 04:22 PM

Others will come along.