Needle Guard for Kids

Old 08-01-2015, 04:20 AM

Default Needle Guard for Kids

Some of you have mentioned that you have used a finger guard around the needle bar to teach your kids how to operate a machine. I'm going to be teaching a friend's 8 yr old GD and want to make sure that there are no accidents when she first starts out.

I was thinking of just making a little wooden rectangle that would fit around the foot so that fingers are well out of the way and safe. Have you tried this?
Any suggestions?
Old 08-01-2015, 04:26 AM

Deb,

I think the wooden rectangle might get in the way of actually sewing. Although I don't use the needle guards because they interfere with threading the needle, you can get them for low shank machines from Sew-Classic.

Joe
Old 08-01-2015, 04:34 AM

Thanks Joe I was thinking that it might get in the way but wasn't sure.

I just got a beautiful hand crank that might be a good beginning till she gets used to the motion but haven't had time to open up the machine yet let alone shine it up - guess I better get at it
Old 08-01-2015, 08:03 AM

My DGKs are 9 and 7. They have been sewing on my machines since they were each 3 years old. One of the first things I taught them was to listen to Grandma... take your foot off the presser foot when I say 'stop' and go when I say 'go'. At that age they were on my lap or between my legs in front of me so I could stop any hazards. We proceeded from there to lift the presser foot, lower the presser foot, hold on to the threads as you begin stitching, pivoting, etc. By focusing on the 'listening' aspect I am confident that it is why, to this date, no fingers have been sewn on.

I hope this helps. Of course, I should add that at 14, I sewed on my index finger and to this day I can still feel the bounce of the needle on my nail.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:33 AM

I did actually sew a finger tip with my mom's treadle machine. Yes, it hurt, but here I am 50 year later sewing up a storm. I learned not to get my fingers in harms way. I agree with Joe one of the wire needle guards from Sew-Classic. com would be a good investment in your case.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:12 AM

I was sewing at 8 and it went so fast that it scared me. So I turned the wheel by hand!?!? So I think the hand crank one would be wonderful to learn on....
Old 08-01-2015, 12:20 PM

I think the hand crank is a great idea. They stop automatically when the needle hits flesh. I would go with Sew-Classic's needle guard or more likely bend something workable out of a paperclip.
Rodney
Old 08-01-2015, 01:18 PM

I can't get my DGD interested in making anything! All she wants to do is play video games (she's 6). I force her to do other things once in a while, like playing make-believe or reading, but she just keeps going back. I watch her for about 9-10 hours 2 or 3 times a week, and I get tired...also have chores to do...I feel like a bad grandma now! Next week we're going to Pendleton, Oregon to the Children's Museum, if it's still there.

Guess I didn't get interested in sewing until I was 10 or so.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:27 PM

I have used the needle guard from Sew-Classic and appreciated having it. If nothing else, it gives a sense of security to the parents!

I have worked with children one on one and also where they have a partner. We go over and over practicing the "stop" procedure. When anyone on the team says "stop", everyone stops. Sometimes the teammate is turning the wheel by hand. We do plenty of hand turning before using the pedal. A child NEVER runs the foot pedal for someone else, but I do with a child on my lap.

With ironing, I hold the iron, and the child moves the fabric, sometimes with me holding her hand. I think the iron is more dangerous than the sewing machine.

I also go over the situation with pins. I ask them ahead of time if they are willing to accidentally get stuck with a pin or needle now and then. We talk about how brave we are and that nobody has any business sewing if they aren't willing to have a pin stick them once in a while.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:39 PM

Great tips thanks!!

I will be ordering a few of the wire guards for my machines to make everything a wee bit less crazy and easier.