Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Needle guard for a 9 year old?

Needle guard for a 9 year old?

Good morning,

I am wondering if a 9 year old beginning sewist should have a needle guard on the sewing machine? Also, what kind or model sewing machine would be best for her? She sews a great straight line andI am not looking for much more than something that is a basic machine (i.e sews forward, backward, and a few decorative stitches) Thank you so much for any input! Have a wonderful day.
    Quilting is definitely not for the faint of heart.

I have never seen a needle guard on a machine - but that is an interesting idea. I think it would depend on if the 9 year old would be watched closely.

I have let my great nieces sew on my machine and I did not use a guard. They were much younger than 9 probably 4 and 6... but then I was right there with them. Also at that age they did not really want to sew for long periods of time, so that made it easier to watch them

Also some kids may not pay as much attention as others... here I am an old lady and I wanted a needle guard when I started to seriously sew several years ago (I was much much much older than 9)

as far as machines go... I am partial to Janomes. I love my Magnolia 7330 and use that to take with me when I go to classes (this was the machine that I took to let my little nieces sew on)

Janome's hello kitty is a great machine.
    there are a lot of guards made, generally they fit in the needle post were you can put one of these guides for quilting even distances.

lots of images herehttps://www.google.com/search?q=need...w=1366&bih=625

I'm all about vision so don't want anything in front of my eyes.
    And we've heard lots of stories here about adults running the needle through their finger...it is all about attention I think?

I have not heard about a needle guard, but it sounds interesting. My 7 year old granddaughter sews with my featherweight machine. She takes her time and watches carefully, sews a beautiful straight line with the aid of the seam guide.

umm, that's what the presser foot's other purpose is ... to keep fingers away from the needle ...
    Liz / Calgary

Nancy Notion's has pressure foot with guard for children learning to sew. I got one for my old Singer for my grands to use. I bought my grandaughter a Janome Hello Kitty years ago and she is still using it. I would look at the Sparrow Eversewn models too.
    https://www.nancysnotions.com/i-sew-...sser-foot.html
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    teach her to keep her left hand fingers to the left of the needle. at all times. it is what i do. machine feet are made to go over bumps or fingers!!
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
    And we've heard lots of stories here about adults running the needle through their finger...it is all about attention I think?
    I'm one of those adults who has sewn thru her finger. lol. I was making a jacket and hit my finger and the needle broke off in my finger. It was Sunday. I was home alone. It didn't hurt. So I finished the jacket and went to the doctor the next day.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Donna Jordan of Jordan Fabrics has one on her machine. Doesn't sound like a bad idea.
    Alyce

Senior Member sewingitalltogether's Avatar
    I started sewing on my Mother's sewing machine when I was 7.

As a Grandma I do not want the drama of a needle in the finger of a grand. Buy the pressure foot with guard. The kids can learn the hard knocks on their mom's time. LOL
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Clover makes a safety foot. I grew up on brothers and still have them the one I got in junior high still sews about 25yrs old
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Blog Entries
    Onebyone, I agree with you let all the drama happen with the parent. I as a great-grandmother is trying to give my great-grands (a 10 yo and a 9 yo) a chance at how to operate the featherweight. Thanks for reminding me that the tool is available for their safety. Thanks for the thread Jcarpentier

Cherryb

I just found a pink and white portable singer model #1748. Someone had used it maybe once or twice to sew on badges for sports. I found it at a second hand store for twenty bucks. Still in the box and it has 32 stitch functions, an automatic button hole maker and a needle threader. It is quiet and sews like a dream.

I have wanted a small machine for downstairs during the hot months of the year. So this one fits the bill. I am looking at getting a machine carrier/cover to store it. Probably will cost more than the machine. LOL! My sis has extra feet she is giving me because it only came with four or five. Only three bobbins, so I would have to buy more of those too, but I doubt they could be very much.
    I tried pricing it on line and it sells for about a hundred bucks or a little over.

My point being, check at the second hand stores. I once bought a bernina for seventeen dollars with tons of feet I gave to my sister. Spring cleaning time is a great time to find the deals.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

My 7 year old granddaughter was sewing when the needle broke and hit her on the forehead. It didn’t hurt her or break the skin, but sure scared the heck out of Grammy! There was no more sewing until we bought some small size safety glasses.

Phyllis

Blog Entries
    My neighbor girl, age 8, Amish, so no electricity wants to learn to sew. Thanks for the link to the needle guard.
    Patrice, you are one tough cookie.

Battle Axe, My friend and I could sew faster on a treadle than the other kids in home ec could on electric. My friend sewed through finger using the treadle.

Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

Blog Entries
    My opinion is it depends on the temperament of the child. I loved the "domestic arts" and my mom was a great teacher. I was sewing, ironing, baking, and cooking meals for the family at age 9, am 50 now. I didn't need any special equipment, just education about how to properly use the tools with a warning about what could happen.

My youngest son is 18 and people are amazed at what he can do and what I "allow" him to do. I think wrapping our kids in bubble wrap to keep them safe and protect them from harm is a mistake - I've seen so many his age too scared to go out and actually do something for fear they might be hurt. It's a sad way to live life.

Until this morning I had never heard of a needle guard, Good to know that there are some out there for those who may need one to feel safe.

Even with a needle guard the child can still sew the finger. My neighbor's grandchild was pushing the fabric under the pressure foot with her finger and sewed it. It just penetrated the very tip of her finger and she was ok.

I didn't learn with a needle guard. My grandies sew on a small Janome and a hand treadle. I tell them about sewing through a finger, all things have a problem, that's life and I love my grandies dearly but life has dangers including needles on sewing machines. Therefore be careful.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    As a Grandma I do not want the drama of a needle in the finger of a grand. Buy the pressure foot with guard. The kids can learn the hard knocks on their mom's time. LOL
    Exactly right! Good thinking!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    I teach young kids and I do not use a needle guard. I have them keep their hands flat and that keeps them away from the needle. I do set my machine on the slow mode so it doesn't get away from them. I also spend some time discussing safety (more worried about scissors and pins than I am the sewing machine).

Blog Entries
    My granddaughters started sewing with an inexpensive Brother machine set up on their little- just their size- Care bear table & chairs when they were 4. I never heard of ( or thought about) a Needle guard. We never had any issues, the only thing I never let them do was touch the rotary cutters or iron. They could cut with scissors or bring me what they wanted cut. I never let them use the cutters until they reached 18. They started being allowed to iron at about 12
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I gave my 5 year old granddaughter a sewing machine for Christmas. I a planning on getting a finger guard because as we get better we will "live more dangerously". I leaned over to move her fabric and she stopped her machine and said "Nana you scared the life out of me. Your fingers never belong there." She preceeded to give me a safety lecture. So I really think it depends on the child.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast