Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
New Craigslist find- 1933 Singer 15-91 >

New Craigslist find- 1933 Singer 15-91

New Craigslist find- 1933 Singer 15-91

Old 01-25-2016, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

What a nice cabinet. Good Luck!
Old 01-25-2016, 01:05 PM

The knee controller took some fussing with but eventually I got some decent readings on the ohmmeter. I hooked the knee controller up to my functional 15-91 and it works. Now I just have to wait for a few parts that I ordered and I should be able to put it back together and sew.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
http://shop.sew-classic.com/Carbon-B...1-2-SCE514.htm

Price seems high but she's the cheapest I know of.

Cari
It does seem high. Her sale price is about what I charge in Canada in Cdn dollars. Often my cost is similar to her retail prices. That said if she bought stock when the part was expensive, she may have too much into them.

Originally Posted by DKuehn View Post
I threaded it and it sews!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]541050[/ATTACH]
At a quick glance, it looks like you missed the thread take up spring and the little "hook" portion right after it in your thread path. That will affect a lot tension wise.

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 01-25-2016 at 02:16 PM. Reason: clarity and added info - in blue
Old 01-25-2016, 02:14 PM

Great find.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:18 PM

Very pretty machine-it's on my want list! Glad you could get her working again so easily.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:23 PM

What Cari-in-oly said. Sew-Classic.com has been, in my experience, the best priced place. I buy all my parts there, even though there is a parts supplier right down the road, because her prices are so good. Shipping is a problem everywhere. If you have several parts or felts etc to get, then the $65 free shipping may be an option. I usually pick up spool pins, motor brushes, belts, felts, oil, grease and whatever else looks good so I don't have to order as often. Jenny is very helpful and you can call her for advice, but they don't take orders on the phone so you will nee to place all orders online, but she can say what is the best buy etc. I would recommend picking up motor brushes. She has the best price on bobbins too. Her solid state controllers are great for replacing the old,hot controllers. Happy hunting.
Donna

Last edited by DonnaMiller; 01-25-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
At a quick glance, it looks like you missed the thread take up spring and the little "hook" portion right after it in your thread path. That will affect a lot tension wise.
Yes, they are clearly missed in the picture. I was a little eager to see if it would sew and rushed through that part. LOL
Old 01-25-2016, 02:37 PM

This is a lovely, old machine and you should be proud of it. DH says one of these will wear out 4 ladies and he is probably right. They were built for the millennium, at least one. The motor caps are a primitive form of plastic and it wasn't as good as today's plastic. Any sewing machine shop, in business for quite a while, should have some in their archives. The most important thing: just tighten them hand tight, not tighter. Over tightening with a screwdriver causes them to break.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
It does seem high. Her sale price is about what I charge in Canada in Cdn dollars. Often my cost is similar to her retail prices. That said if she bought stock when the part was expensive, she may have too much into them. .
Tammi I think her cost for this part has risen. 5 years ago she sold them for around $3, and she was cheaper than anyone else back then. Now, on Ebay and other places I've seen them for much higher than what Jenny sells them for. I don't know why this particular part has gone up so much, it's not like it's just a FW part.

Cari
Old 01-25-2016, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by DKuehn View Post
Yes, they are clearly missed in the picture. I was a little eager to see if it would sew and rushed through that part. LOL
I've been there.

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Tammi I think her cost for this part has risen. 5 years ago she sold them for around $3, and she was cheaper than anyone else back then. Now, on Ebay and other places I've seen them for much higher than what Jenny sells them for. I don't know why this particular part has gone up so much, it's not like it's just a FW part.

Cari
The weird part is, I don't think my cost has risen - maybe it's coming. I'm probably the only one who orders these parts from my supplier. I'm probably slowly depleting 20 year old stock. I do find that on some of the small items, prices are way more out of line at various places than on the big things. I can usually match US pricing on a lot of little items and still have a bit of margin. Larger items I often can't even come close on. eBay has been pretty out of line lately on a lot of things.