the New Home is home!

Old 01-13-2014, 05:22 PM

The upper left set is Greist. Instead of using the standard top clamp, this has a foot that mounts to the bar, and all the attachments clip into the foot, including the ruffler and tucker.

The lower left set should have a different tucker. I've got several sets with boxes like this, but they are all very different in attachment methods. I have one pamphlet and it has Johnston Ruffler Co on it. The tucker in the box is Johnston, but an earlier version more often found in the cardboard boxes with bed mount attachments.

Here is what that earlier tucker looks like on the machine.

Here is the ruffler from that set - this one also has a part that attaches to the bar, and the feet clip into that. I've never seen any others like this. I bought the set missing the ruffler, and just last week I found the ruffler! I was so happy - then curiosity one out, and I went back and looked - I bought the set from the same seller! I highly doubt they did that on purpose - but most sellers don't have a clue and just list things as they find them. I've learned to look at other seller listings if I find a set missing pieces - anyway - the ruffler is reunited with the rest of the set now!

The middle boxes are marked the same on the outside, and are E.J. Toof. The tuckers are the same (but one is missing a screw/bolt) The top set is like the first in that there is a foot that attaches to the bar and the others clip into it - however this one goes all the way up to the fat part of the bar to clamp on. The feet hook into a hole in the back, and slide forward and clip into place.

The ruffler mounts to the narrow lower part of the presser bar.

While doing this - I realized the ruffler in the lower box is not correct - it's marked Greist - but I know it's an early ruffler design, and says "New Home" on it. I'll have to figure out what it goes with. I expect the correct ruffler for the bottom set is very similar to the top one.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by wilburness View Post
great looking machines. I have another for you. if you are interested... I can pick up. just less than an hour south. the SM is a 306K. they sent me a pic with that number.
http://rockford.craigslist.org/hsh/4265036388.html

they keep popping up down or should I say over here.
Don't you already have a cabinet like that waiting for someone to pick up?

However, my husband has seen this thread and he wants me to send you $150 and what you'd need to go get that 306 in the cabinet. Not sure when we'd get out to WI to pick it up though - not this next weekend as I've got to get the budget worksheets handed out on Monday.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:36 PM

Back to the New Home attachments (now that my husband has gone back upstairs).

This is the Greist ruffler that I'm not sure what set it would go with. This style is very similar to the Back Clamp 66- so figure that gives me a date range to work with. I've also got a similar ruffler for the Standard set.

Here is the Toof Tucker - all the Toof attachments say "New Home" on them.

The feet in the bottom set are more standard - they clip into the top clamp unit that attaches to the pressure bar. It's also possible the ruffler is more like this and not the earlier style. Such fun . . .

The set on the far right is more typical of the Greist sets - with the style tucker and ruffler like you see in most of them. Though they do also say "New Home" on them, along with Greist.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:49 PM

yes I have an empty trapazoid cabinet with your name on it whenever ​you get this way. you think that is a good deal for a 306K. she is very quiet. I have texted her a couple of times and asked if I could call and she says she is busy. she did say she has some accessories for it.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:11 PM

In my book - $150 for a nice machine and cabinet is always a good deal. I'm not sure why my husband really liked the look of that one. I wanted to buy a mocha one once, for $90 in a cabinet, and he talked me out of it.

Right now I'm really hoping to get a 319, and not a 306 . . . and my plan is to put the 319 in the trapizoid cabinet. Sometimes my husband and I just get a bit carried away too - end up coming home with more machines than we have room for LOL!! We've already taken out the couch and the dining room table and chairs and the big hutch - not sure what else I could move - and the shed it getting way too full LOL!!

Accessories aren't hard to come buy - so they don't add a whole lot of value unless she's got the less common ones. Though sometimes you'll get sellers that think since some crazy person is asking $50 for some $2 attachment on ebay, that is what it's actually worth!

But if she's got a penguin foot hiding in the drawer - you run with $150 and grab it and get down the road ASAP before she figures that one out LOL!!
Old 01-13-2014, 08:15 PM

I like that New Home, so much that I bought one just like it, except electrified, a while ago. Working on tension issues, even have a new shuttle, which didn't take care of it. But I have a thought...
Here's mine, with a New Home Light Running motor (badged Hamilton Beach).
[ATTACH=CONFIG]456501[/ATTACH]
Spins super easy! Wish it was a hand crank.
A short YouTube clip of it running.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNj9TzSuSug
Attached Thumbnails new-home-type-a2-4.jpg  
Old 01-13-2014, 08:26 PM

and glad you have a machine for all those attachments. I bought a set, just on principle. But nothing that interesting. I need to try using some of them.
Enjoy!! (and I'm interested to hear how it stitches)
Old 01-14-2014, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Right now I'm really hoping to get a 319, and not a 306 . . .
is this THE SINGER 319 that you're looking for ?
Old 01-14-2014, 04:25 AM

oldsewnsew- did you adjust the shuttle carrier when you put in the new shuttle? I had no idea this was needed until I got some shuttles (yesterday) that still had the BOYE paper wrapper. And it states specifically that you may need to adjust this so the shuttle will fit correctly, or the lower thread tension will not be correct. Basically, if the shuttle is fitting to tight, that will cause the thread to have too much tension, and loosening the screw on the shuttle won't have the desired affect because that isn't what is causing the problem. And I suppose the same could be true it it's too loose.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
is this THE SINGER 319 that you're looking for ?
Yup - that is the machine, though I'm hoping to get a green one. They come in Mocha, Green and Black.