New Home Treadle

Old 05-07-2014, 01:11 PM

Default New Home Treadle

I have acquired (from an aunt who died) a lovely New Home Treadle sewing machine. Stamped into the bottom of the head casting it says, "New Home, SMCo, Orange Mass USA". On the bobbin (shuttle type is the long narrow type-not the new round bobbin) slide plate is stamped into the metal, "B-1704". As well, under the bobbin slide plate "1704" is stamped into the metal casting. When I match photos I've found on the internet with my machine I do believe it is a "B" model series. However, when I phoned Janome to find out this machine's birthdate they tell me that all of the serial number are six digits. Believe me I have gone over this machine with a fine tooth comb (and a magnifying glass) and nowhere is there another numbers (of any length) other than the 1704. Can anyone out there please help me to date this machine? Any help/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Many thanks.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:40 PM

Your machine is going to be from the original New Home Company . Did Janome tell you they have the records from the original New Home company? They bought the name - your machine and Janome made New Home machines have nothing in common but the name.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:47 PM

well, my older New Homes have a seven digit numbers, no letter prefix. My Model T has a T-xxxx number, so that is similar to yours. The youngest New Home I have has a 6 digit number, but it's not a long bobbin machine. I didn't look at my Free/Westinghouse New Home machine.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

Can you post a pic of your new beauty-? Would love to see it! (I also have a NH treadle in a parlor cabinet.)
Old 05-09-2014, 04:41 AM

Many thanks to all of you for your comments. Is there a secret to add the photo? I've followed the directions but I can't get the photo to up-load.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Suzie Busch View Post
Many thanks to all of you for your comments. Is there a secret to add the photo? I've followed the directions but I can't get the photo to up-load.
What kind of device are you trying to upload from, it can make some difference, I think.