Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: New To Me Sears Kenmore

  1. #1
    Super Member tuckyquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,202
    Blog Entries
    1

    New To Me Sears Kenmore

    A fellow from church called and said I have three sewing machines you can have. No one is using them and none of the gals in the family are interested. So I drove over and picked them up. All just need to have the dust wiped off and some oil. All are in perfect shape. The Kenmore was his deceased wife's machine. That one really made my heart flutter. Don't know what year it is as only got them yesterday. I'll do some research. I love that it a pale shade of green. Look Very similar to my Singer 600 which I got in 1967 as a belated HS grad present.
    The Singers are nice and will be easy to use.
    Any one have one of these Kenmore's?
    Attached Images Attached Images

    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-14-2018 at 11:43 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

  2. #2
    Senior Member OurWorkbench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    976
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckyquilter View Post
    .... Don't know what year it is as only got them yesterday.....
    Any one have one of these Kenmore's?
    Nice lucky you.

    How did you get the thimble to balance like that on the bobbin?????

    I don't think I have one of those Kenmore's. I tried to read the model number, but couldn't. You can find the approximate year the Kenmore was made by checking http://www.searsarchives.com/history.../sewing_id.pdf It looks like it is a short shank, but can't tell if it is left homing or not.

    You might want to push down on the pressure regulator down before you try to sew with it AMHIK

    Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Janey & John

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    934
    What are the numbers on the plate that is showing just under the ledge on the front? I have a few that look similar to this machine. Did you get any manuals along with your new treasures. Were there any accessories?
    Have fun!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    934
    Quote Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
    Nice lucky you.

    How did you get the thimble to balance like that on the bobbin?????
    Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Janey, I believe the bobbin and the thimble are resting on a thread spool pin.

  5. #5
    Senior Member OurWorkbench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    976
    Quote Originally Posted by elnan View Post
    Janey, I believe the bobbin and the thimble are resting on a thread spool pin.
    Thanks, had to look again. I see that now.

    Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Janey & John

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    5,497
    What a score for you! Three new machines. Hard not to love a Kenmore.

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,056
    The Kenmore looks like a 148.13101, which was manufactured in Japan by Soryou. It is a low shank, class 15 bobbin zig-zag machine. It does stretch stitches, has drop feed dogs, and sews through denim layers like butter. It is a lightweight machine and could be mounted into a Kenmore cabinet. I hope you got the buttonhole attachment, etc. with. If you didn't get a manual with it, you'll probably be able to find a pdf manual online. These metal Kenmore machines are easy to maintain. Congratulations on your score!

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,056
    I forgot to add that I think this was made between 1973 and 1974. I love the vintage green color.

  9. #9
    Super Member tuckyquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,202
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by SewingSew View Post
    The Kenmore looks like a 148.13101, which was manufactured in Japan by Soryou. It is a low shank, class 15 bobbin zig-zag machine. It does stretch stitches, has drop feed dogs, and sews through denim layers like butter. It is a lightweight machine and could be mounted into a Kenmore cabinet. I hope you got the buttonhole attachment, etc. with. If you didn't get a manual with it, you'll probably be able to find a pdf manual online. These metal Kenmore machines are easy to maintain. Congratulations on your score!
    THANK YOU. Yes, it is a 148.13101. SN: 65306. No Attachments or extra bobbins. BUT the bobbins look like ones I have in my stash But it's very clean. No smoking/no drinking home so it's really nice. I hope to take it for a ride this week. I did manage to find a "manual" but the photo doesn't look quite the same. I just needed to know where to oil. I'm excited about having it in my stable.
    Green is my favorite color so I'm double jazzed.
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

  10. #10
    Super Member tuckyquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,202
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
    Nice lucky you.

    How did you get the thimble to balance like that on the bobbin?????

    I don't think I have one of those Kenmore's. I tried to read the model number, but couldn't. You can find the approximate year the Kenmore was made by checking http://www.searsarchives.com/history.../sewing_id.pdf It looks like it is a short shank, but can't tell if it is left homing or not.

    You might want to push down on the pressure regulator down before you try to sew with it AMHIK

    Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    I'm

    Thank you for the machine dating site. I was so excited I forgot to include the Model 148.13101 SN: 65306. I'm very gifted in Thimbles. I just put it over the little spool pole, upside down, so it wouldn't get lost. LOL
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

  11. #11
    Super Member tuckyquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,202
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by elnan View Post
    What are the numbers on the plate that is showing just under the ledge on the front? I have a few that look similar to this machine. Did you get any manuals along with your new treasures. Were there any accessories?
    Have fun!

    No manuals.. Model 148.13101 SN: 65306 Only two bobbins and a zipper foot.
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckyquilter View Post
    No manuals.. Model 148.13101 SN: 65306 Only two bobbins and a zipper foot.
    The kenmores of this vintage are great machines. Mine keeps on sewing after 40+ years of use. It handles heavyweight fabric so much better than my new electronic machine. I was able to buy a short shank 1/4 inch foot and a walking foot from my local sewing machine/repair shop for it. You might still be able to buy parts from Sears.

  13. #13
    Super Member Pam S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    1,494
    I have this Kenmore that I bought new in 1973 with my high school graduation money and took to college. Still working and my daughter took it to college in 2013. She owns a featherweight now and so I have the Kenmore back. It's a workhorse. It even got dropped taking it out of the back of a minivan about 15 years ago and the only thing that happened was one of the spool pins bent a little. Mine is portable and came with a case. Nice machine because it's all metal but so heavy!
    People will see your quilts long after you're gone - NOT your housework!

  14. #14
    Super Member tuckyquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,202
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam S View Post
    I have this Kenmore that I bought new in 1973 with my high school graduation money and took to college. Still working and my daughter took it to college in 2013. She owns a featherweight now and so I have the Kenmore back. It's a workhorse. It even got dropped taking it out of the back of a minivan about 15 years ago and the only thing that happened was one of the spool pins bent a little. Mine is portable and came with a case. Nice machine because it's all metal but so heavy!
    Yes, they are workhorses. The older machines were metal and were made to be used - forever. This one came to me in a case, but does have the metal to install in a cabinet. I have a Singer cabinet that it will probably fit nicely in.
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

  15. #15
    Super Member Cari-in-Oly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop Forum
    Posts
    3,633
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckyquilter View Post
    Yes, they are workhorses. The older machines were metal and were made to be used - forever. This one came to me in a case, but does have the metal to install in a cabinet. I have a Singer cabinet that it will probably fit nicely in.
    Kenmore machines don't fit in other brand cabinets without significantly modifying it first. Kenmore beds are a different size, have square corners and the hinge spacing is different. You'd have better luck looking for a Kenmore cabinet.

    Cari

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.