Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
New to QB - New Featherweight Owner >

New to QB - New Featherweight Owner

New to QB - New Featherweight Owner

Old 08-04-2014, 05:59 AM

Just wanted to say Welcome to the QB! What a beautiful machine and attachments! And what a find.....the original Singer Oil can. Even if you can't use the oil, it's a very good thing to have the can!
Old 08-04-2014, 06:12 AM
KLO

I noticed that cardboard under the motor also and wondered about it. According to Nova Montgomery's website, this is what she says about packing a Featherweight for shipping: "Cut small squares of cardboard to slide under the motor and fill in the space under the motor. This is to protect the motor and motor bracket and give them a ‘foundation’ if the machine gets a hard jolt in transit." So maybe it is good that it is there and someone did a nice job of packing? Hope so! By the way, here is Nova's website in case you want to learn more about your machine. She has a ton of great information. Enjoy your machine!

http://www.novamontgomery.com/featherweight-s.htm
Old 08-04-2014, 10:30 AM

Hi A&T. I wrote you a long reply with lots of detail on the Yahoo Group but it never got posted. Sometimes it takes days for a reply to appear and sometimes they never do. Wish I had copied and saved it.

Anyway, good luck with your machine!

David
Old 08-04-2014, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to the QB from Pennsylvania, USA. Have fun.
peace
Old 08-04-2014, 02:49 PM

Welcome! You have found a wealth of information about FWs. singerguy sent us link that was great for unjamming the bobbin, and how to take everything apart and how to put it back together. I am still shouting tks to him.

I second the nova Montgomery website. She has tips of the month that are a very valuable resource. I learned so much by browsing her website.

Enjoy Dorothy.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:44 PM

One thing that I never hear anyone mention is be careful with the latches on your case. You don't want to just pop them open, they're old after all, but press the button with you hand over the latch and let it come up gently. You've got a very nice machine. Happy stitches. Gina
Old 08-04-2014, 04:54 PM

Like some of the others, I noticed the bobbins were not FW bobbins. I have had many problems with reproduction bobbins, so I would try to find some original ones on ebay or through one of the FW sites. There are several Featherweight groups on Facebook as well. There are several members there who sell vintage supplies for the FW. If you google FW supplies, you would find many to help you. Some of my favorites are April 1930s http://www.april1930s.com/ , Nova Montgomery and Featherweight Poppy http://www.featherweight-poppy.com/ . All very knowledgeable and dependable. Nova Montgomery has a wealth of information on her website as well. http://www.novamontgomery.com/. I've also purchased items from Diane Lowe at [email protected].