New Willard Sewing Machine

Old 10-11-2015, 01:21 PM

Default New Willard Sewing Machine

Hi! I'm new to Quiltingboard. I just acquired a New Willard Sewing Machine that has not seen a cleaning in years at least.
It has very little rust and everything seems to be working. It has what appears to be the original equipment.
My question is what do I clean with so I do not ruin the "decals", etc?
Also, I've seen alot of comments that this sewing machine is for quilting. Is this correct? What makes this a quilting machine? Also, please excuse my ignorance, but can "regular" sewing be done?
Thanks for any information.

Last edited by azgemstone; 10-11-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:22 PM

Welcome to the board! I will let the more informed answer your questions, just wanted to say welcome.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:31 PM

Thanks!
I'm hoping my machine can look as beautiful as yours!
Also, mine comes in a well-maintained oak cabinet.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:41 PM

Well, sure, I would think after she is cleaned and oiled, lubed, she would be ready to go. Do you have a bobbin and holder? It is a pretty machine. You can clean the outside with cotton balls and sewing machine oil. But just over the decals one time with the cotton gently. I take the front plate, the bobbin plate, the balance wheel and as Joe says "everything that moves against another gets oiled. Take the bottom off and clean it too and oil everything that moves. GREASE ONLY on the gears. If I'm saying something wrong, someone correct me.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:10 PM

Hi! and Welcome! Read the stickies and watch Muv's videos on cleaning your machine. Use sewing machine oil ONLY to clean it. Modern cleaners can (and probably will) destroy your decals.
Rodney
Old 10-11-2015, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by azgemstone View Post
Hi! I'm new to Quiltingboard. ...
My question is what do I clean with so I do not ruin the "decals", etc?
Also, I've seen alot of comments that this sewing machine is for quilting. Is this correct? What makes this a quilting machine? Also, please excuse my ignorance, but can "regular" sewing be done?
Thanks for any information.

Welcome. Thank you for checking about not ruining decals, so would suggest the sticky here -- http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...v-t167789.html Like Barny said sewing machine oil and cotton balls. Also brush out lint and remove any threads where they don't belong. Take plenty of pictures. We like seeing before and after pictures. I'm guessing that your machine is a long shuttle.

As far as it being good for quilting, it is because straight stitch only machines make a better straight stitch and easier to make a 1/4 inch seam. I have a computerized Pfaff but when I was making doll clothes for granddaughter I was having trouble with the small seams even when needle position was on the far right. Fortunately, I had a 15-90 that I was able to pull out and the difference was amazing. The answer is yes, you can "regular" sew straight stitch seams. Most clothing is done with 5/8" seams so you may want to have some sort of seam guide. (Please no tape.) Some use just a visual guide like a screw or edge of needle plate. There are seam guides that screw onto the bed and even just a magnetic guide on these antique or vintage machines. Many beautiful items are made with only a straight stitch machine.

Do you have a manual and any attachments? As mentioned before -- we like pictures.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:27 PM

Welcome,

New Willard was made by Domestic, I beleive both before and after White aquired the company.

There are two models, one matches the Franklin, the other matches the Minnesota (the one made by domestic). Both of those two (Franklin and Minnesota badges) were sold by Sears.

The Franklin type has a wide slide plate like Singer, the other has a narrow slide plate.

Would love to see pictures.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board. As you have found out those in the know will let you know and did. Good luck with it would love to see photo of your machine.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:44 PM

Thank you All for welcoming me! You asked for photos but I don't see where to attach them on this site.
I have no paperwork or manual for the sewing machine. I bid sight unseen at an on-line auction. I was amazed when I picked it up that I acquired this beauty for under $30.00!! The cabinet she is housed in is tiger oak and in great condition.
I've taken your advise to watch the videos on cleaning and oiling. Thank you for this info, too!
I now know where to turn when I have questions or need advise. It sure is nice to see so many who share the joy of these wonderful machines!
Again, please let me know where & how to upload pictures on this site.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:48 PM

Note: I have found where I can attach pictures