No forward and reverse

Old 08-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric
Could just lift the needle, lift the pressor foot, and move the fabric forward a tiny bit such that the needle steps back one stitch length, lower the pressor foot and the needle again, and then continue sewing forward.
This would be quick to do and accomplish the lock stitch you need.

I do this on an older machine that I like to sew with, and which has a reverse lever alright, but which lever is clumsy to operate. I call it "back step stitching" and it works fine.
That is how to do it with a machine that has no reverse. Very good answer!!!

The Singer books say with the needle in the down position you turn the material around 180* and then sew back a few stitches and repeat the 180* turn and sew away.

Billy
Old 08-25-2010, 07:09 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I have an old industrial that I love, and it also has no reverse. What I do is to adjust the stitch length to tiny, when I reach the end of a seam. I was talking to a career sewing machine repairman, and he told me that in the industry, the sewers would use the knee lift lever to remove the pressure off the cloth, and then they would pull it towards them, then lower the knee lever and go forward again over those last stitches. So the seamstresses would rather manually do a reverse stitch.

I think this would take some practice to learn to do it. But once learned, it would be a really quick process.